Saturday 13 July 2013

Film: 'NOW YOU SEE ME'

Confounding my own low expectations, having read a number of dismissive reviews (one critic calling it 'The Illusionist' for dummies!) I found this great fun.

Including a big-name, pleasingly watchable cast that takes in Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine (somewhat underused, sadly), and not forgetting newer kid-on-the-block, Dave Franco, it tells of a quartet of illusionists who play 'Robin Hood' in stealing huge sums of money through bank heists as part of their act, and distributing it to more 'deserving' members of the public attending their shows. The F.B.I. and Interpol get involved early on and from then on it's a cat-and-four-mice game, with a twist practically every few minutes, until it comes to the big final reveal, in which I'd failed to foresee the eventual actual joker-in-the-pack.
    Of course if one thinks deeply about what one sees I dare say little of it stands up to rigorous scrutiny. It's a very flash and slick film, with many jump cuts, some of them leaping so far that it would be futile to attempt rationalisation. Like a live conjuring act I think it's much more enjoyable if one doesn't keep asking "How did they do that?" but you just sit back and enjoy the ride. And what a ride it is, barely letting up on the viscerally-felt momentum from the very start.
It's made in wide-screen so it could be that much of the impact will be lessened when seeing it on TV or computer. But it's one of those films that takes delight in playing games with the audience, so on that score alone it ought to carry some of the fun over. Of course there'll be those who see it and who'll gleefully point out holes in the storyline, and for that reason will talk down the worth of this film. I wouldn't argue that there aren't any such lapses but all I can say is that it kept me entertained for the entire nearly two hours' length. So, being honest as regards to my own enjoyment quotient, and despite a risk of making some blog readers aghast, I award 'Now You See Me' a highly satisfying rating of ......8/10.

8 comments:

  1. Loved your review on this one! That it kept you entertained is a very valid reason for awarding it a high rating. And that reason is why I am going to see this. Well that and James' brother Dave. Just love the two videos he did. Makes me laugh each time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a sneaking suspicion that others who see this film, at least partly because of my own verdict, just MAY be disappointed, although I of course hope that they'll be as entertained as I was. But shucks, you've got to be honest otherwise there's little point in writing anything at all. Hope you like it - and you won't pretend you did if you don't. (Of course you won't!)

      Now TWO D.F. videos? Well, I recall ONE of them.....

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I was wrong. There are four Franco videos: "You're So Hot" "You're So Hot, Part Deux" "Go F*ck Yourself" and "Would You Rather" Those Franco boys really keep you guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it and I was pleasantly pleased. I knew I would be duped and I was also pleased to see I was outwitted. Overall a fun film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A commendation coming from YOU is praise indeed! I'd really thought that I was maybe of simple mind in having enjoyed it so much. Had even thought of toning down my enthusiasm. But now that I know I'm in good, reliable company, feeling a lot better - and vindicated.

      Delete
  4. I had been trying to drag 'the other half' to this one for a couple weeks before I succeeded but we saw it before your review so you are not responsible. :-).

    I am becoming a bit of a Jesse Eisenberg fan and many in the cast are performers I enjoy. The plot was more substantive than I expected it to be which is good. It is visually impressive. I often like Woody H though he seemed a generation too old for this film. The character could, in fact, be older but I don't recall it being alluded to in the text of the performance. He just seemed miscast. I enjoyed it but not as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you also didn't think it was quite the waste of time and money that some have thought, H.K.

      Eisenberg? I know the name but I can't even now put a name to it. Not even sure (said with a blush) whether it's a he or a she!
      As to W.H., I had rather the reverse feeling as you did re his age. I thought the other three members of the 'quartet' were far too young to be displaying the confidence and expertise they displayed, something which could only have come about by years of performing through trial and error, so in that respect I found him the most convincing of the four. I also liked his sarky sense of humour.
      But good entertainment all round.

      Delete