Monday 8 July 2013

Film: 'THE BLING RING'

A not entirely uninteresting film, apparently based on a true story, of five odiously-attituded, pot-smoking, coke-snorting youngsters in L.A. who assume that the entire world exists only for them, and who have no compunctions about breaking into the homes of 'celebrities' (using that term in a very wide sense) such as Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Orlando Bloom, while they're away - and then rummaging through their lavishly and ridiculously overstocked wardrobes, making off with items of clothing, jewellery, handbags, watches etc to either keep for themselves or to sell for significant monetary gain. If this film really reflects the absurd ease with which they enter the empty premises - in one case by merely sliding open an unlocked and unalarmed glass door -  then the victim must only shoulder at least part of the blame her/himself.
I found this criminal quintet so dislikeable that, were I an advocate of c.p. (apart from in very specific and well-defined circumstances) I could cheerfully have given each of them a darned good slap. Had to remain to the end of this sensibly short (90 mins) film because I was yearning to see these loathsome juveniles get their richly deserved comeuppance, which they did, though it wasn't anything like as severe as I would have liked. (The Emma Watson's character's closing speech about how the experience has improved her self-realisation and knowledge is hilarious.)

Sofia Coppola has got herself quite a reputation for coming up with films which are off-the-beaten-track, and deserves great credit for doing so. But, because they are deemed not to have mass appeal, they usually get only selected showings, with the result that I have not had the opportunity to see more of her films than the few which I have. But those I have viewed are hardly ever boring, this one qualifying too.

Not bad entertainment - and certainly an unusual story. I award it a.........................5.5

6 comments:

  1. Doesn't float my boat either Ray. But Sophia... how can we forget the very delicious "Lost in Translation"? Lip my stockings still rings in my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think this might be more enjoyed on TV, J.G. - and probably moreso when watched in company.
    'Lost in Translation' was okay, for me, but it now seems to be gaining a reputation as a near-masterpiece which, I think, overdoes its worth a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is, indeed, based on a true story. The crimes received a fair bit of coverage among the entertainment media. The movie has had some television advertising and is playing in the multiplexes rather than the art houses. I had not considered seeing it because it felt too much like a reality TV spin-off; 'The Sons & Daughters of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" type thing. I was not aware it was a Sofia C film however.

    I have not seen all of her films. I liked The Virgin Suicides, another story based on true events though the screenplay was based on Jeffrey Eugenidies book rather than news accounts. (Fun factoid - that story is set in Spo's home town). Lost In Translation was enjoyable. I also admit that I think of Marie Antoinette as a guilty pleasure. It is a bizarre film and there are many reasons it was not well received by critics but I find myself watching it every time I stumble across it on television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw 'Virgin Suicides', which I liked, and 'Translation', rather less so. 'Marie Antoinette' came just for an absurdly short period and only showing late evenings so didn't catch it - and it's eluded me ever since. It sounds like I could like it, though not so sure about her use of rock music.

      Delete
  4. I just love this actress Emma Watson since the harry potter series appears. Just expecting another good movie from her.

    Dwayne Johnston (Ft Lauderdale IT Support)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's certainly 'spreading her wings' now, D.J. And the fact that she made her character in this film so thoroughly dislikeable proves that she's got what it takes to be a fine actress.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete