Saturday 20 May 2017

A highly distressful event

(There's a worrisome update to this story in italics at the end.)
I really thought I'd be posting a 'Blackso R.I.P' this morning. My nerves are still shredded after yesterday's happening.

My dearest friend in all the world, now 18 years old, had an unhappy accident at about 5 p.m. when he attempted to get onto the cover I keep on a large, square, metal crate which I keep in the kitchen for the rubbish bags before taking them to the outside bins. It's his current choice of sleeping location, along with the worktop next to the kitchen sink.  
Not for the first time, when he jumped up it gave way under him and he plunged inside the crate, but on this occasion it seemed to have done him serious damage. When I pulled him out he couldn't stand or even sit on his hind legs., which had collapsed under him and he could only lay on his side. His eyes were fearful, darting rapidly from side to side, something I've never seen before. While working out what I could do I tried to console him with gentle strokes, half in tears myself. This happened just a few minutes before his regular vet was closing so it was too late for that - and it's not open at weekends either, though there's an emergency number. Meanwhile there was the tragic picture of Blackso needing to get to the bathroom for the litter tray he always uses, pulling himself along on front legs, his hind quarters dragging along the carpet. It seemed that something was broken. I helped him to the tray where he promptly let it out both ends together, vomiting violently while doing a poo - and then turning over in the litter and covering himself with both stuffs. My heart was breaking in two. After it seemed to be all expelled I picked him up and put him back on the kitchen carpet on a newspaper, using a kitchen towel to clear some of the muck off him, and then resigned myself to having to call out the emergency vet. But I had no money on me. So, leaving him lying there in what must have been painful physical and mental turmoil had to go out, half-sobbing, to the nearest cash machine so I could pay a vet call-out charge at least - and, on the way, would you believe, bumped into Patchie, further away than I've ever seen him before. Of course he recognised me and was determined to follow wherever I was to go - just as I was about to cross a busy dual-carriageway, and in the rush hour! So had to lead him all the way back home and shut him in. When we got back, and to my utter surprise, Blackso had somehow managed to get himself back up onto the kitchen worktop beside the sink. He'd have used a nearby chair as an intermediate step-up, but how he could have even got onto that I just don't know. He was still in a lying position and covered in you-know-what. I went out again for the cash and on returning found him there, still dazed, eyes still swivelling this way and that, but his breathing seemed to be less frantic and laboured.  I decided not to call the vet emergency just yet and wait to see how he developed. Maybe an hour or so later when I checked he'd started cleaning himself up (yuk!) - and later I was over the moon to see him sitting up normally again, and he drank water and some meaty I offered. 
He slept there all night (I checked him twice during the dark hours) and this morning he's back to eating heartily - and, most importantly of all, back to his 'normal' walking again, in his own, usual, advanced-age, loping style looking every bit as though he's drunk.  (I've been fearing for him waking along walls for some time now as he can't seem to keep in a straight line.) He went to his litter tray by himself this morning, on all four legs, and I put him outside for his morning 'constitutional', keeping an eye on him from the window - and all seems now as it was before the accident.

So, if I'd been saying prayers for him I'd now be claiming that they'd been answered! All okay now, but what a mighty scare that was!
Of course I'm fully aware that at his age he can't have much time left, and when it does come, although it'll not be unexpected it's still going to be hard to bear. But that day has been postponed - for now - and I've got the continued company of my dearest of friends for at least a while longer. 

And how is Blackso right now? Oh, he's forgotten about it!

Unfortunate update at 1.30 p.m.:-
His hind legs have buckled again, and that after a morning of moving about normally. He's now sleeping on the kitchen worktop on his side. If it's any consolation to him and myself he doesn't appear to be in the distressful panic he was yesterday when it happened but clearly something serious is wrong. Please, PLEASE mend again, my dearest one!

Further update at 7 p.m.
He's now walking on all fours once more - a bit more wobbly than he usually is but at least he's still got a bit of strength in those hind legs. Keep fighting, Son.

One more update - a day later, 5.30 a.m.
I've been up since 3 a.m. and he seems yo be fine again - walking with no problem, going to his litter tray without difficulty, and eating heartily. Of course it all could take a sudden downturn again at any time so I can't pretend it won't happen no matter how much I wish it wouldn't.
All the good wishes he's had must be working and I'll pass on the very latest messages as well. Meantime, it's a case of appreciating his continued presence with me and demonstrating it with nothing but unconditional love.
Any further developments, which will surely and sadly be downturns, I'll tell you of in a new post. Meantime, grateful thanks to everybody for all your thoughts and concerns.  XXXXXX.

34 comments:

  1. OMB! scary indeed; poor little guy. and how heartbreaking for you! but happy to hear all is well again with blackso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too early with my relief, W.Q. See my italicised update above. My fingers are firmly crossed that he'll come out of it once more. Desperately hope so.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, you know me, I started to tear up about Blackso, and then, bam, he added another one of his lives.
    So happy he's back to "Blackso Normal."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob - but see my reply to W.Q.'s comment above. My fears for him have returned. :-(

      Delete
    2. I know how you feel, you know I know how you feel. You'd do anything for them, and sometimes you just can't.
      I'm still thinking good Blackso thoughts!
      And good Raybeard thoughts, too.

      Delete
    3. All of us who have, or have had, pets that we love dearly go through this, Bob. I'm no different from, or any more special, than anyone else in this respect. Grateful to you for your positive thoughts towards us.

      Delete
  3. Know that you are not alone in your concern for your dear friend.

    Sending Blackso some extra love and get well wishes and extra strength to you to get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paul. You with your own pets will know exactly what it's like to go through such things as this. It inevitably comes to all of us as it goes with the 'territory'. I derive some comfort in knowing that I'm anything but unique, so I'll try not to react as though I am.
      Thanks once more.

      Delete
  4. Love, prayer, thoughts and cuddles from California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful and sincere thanks, F.B. I'll whisper your message into his ear, knowing he'll want me to tell you 'thank you' back. Hope my next message can be an optimistic one - again.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, so sorry to hear your little one is going through such terrible times. I will send you both good tidings and vibes if they will help. Please do keep us posted. Even my pooch sends kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, M.M. He's still sleeping, now nearly three hours since my last update. Hoping desperately that when he wakes he'll be back to something like he was this morning, but there's obviously some serious problem somewhere.
      You can be sure I'll pass on your comforting message and vibes - from both of you. Thanks once more.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, poor Blackso.

    We have two elderly cats here and dread the day...

    Please give Blackso an extra cuddle from Auntie Rozzie in Australia, and take one for yourself, {{{Ray}}}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cover him with your love and cuddles, Rozzie - I can assure you he'll be ever so grateful, as much as I am for your own cuddle.. You'll be familiar with such situations, and I fully understand your hoping against hope that such a day with your own 'kids' never comes. But we all know it's all part of their and our own lives and has to be endured. When set against the affection, comfort and happiness they give us all their lives it's a price we just have to pay, sad as it is.

      Delete
  7. Poor baby. Maybe he can go to his regular vet on Monday for a checkup?

    Sending love from South Carolina to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. If he does recover today or tomorrow I don't know if I'll be able to face taking him to the vet for fear of what I may be told - that it would be kinder to......That would simply destroy me for several days at least. Have to get through a day at a time, I suppose.
      Thanks so much for your S.Carolina love. I'll convey it to him now.

      Delete
  8. Hard to read..especially the update. Will you be able to get him into his vet Monday? Please keep us posted. Hoping this all resolved and he gets back on all 4 feet soon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's back to 'normal' this morning, S/b - or what passes as his normal - walking okay again, so far. Thanks so much for your concern. I'll keep my followers informed. Meanwhile, feline greetings to H & RM, along with my own.

      Delete
  9. Oh my god RAY! Get better soon Blackso!

    I am wondering if he has had little fits as you said his eyes are shaking.

    Bless him, beaming him lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful thanks for your thoughts, Sol. I'm relieved that this morning we seem to be back in a 'recovered' stage. How long it will last is anyone's guess. His eye movements were scary, just that once immediately after it happened - his pupil-slits darting rapidly left to right non-stop. Whatever was happening he couldn't have been focussing. If it was a fit it was only inside his head, there being no bodily convulsions as such.
      I'm happy to pass on your thoughts for recovery. Already on what he's had it seems to be working. Thanks once more.

      Delete
  10. Raymondo
    I think the outcome may unfortunately be bleak for the old guy but he is fortunate to have you. Keep him well loved thats all you can do
    Chin up dear friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a matter of time, J.G. We all know that - all, that is, apart from him. But he's back in functioning mode this morning, though for how long? I'm giving him all the love and positive strokes (literally, though gently) that I can - and showing him my appreciation for the affection he's shown to me for so very long.
      Thanks very much to you, you who know more than most what it's like to go through trials like this.

      Delete
  11. there is no sorrow like that of the loss of an old pet.
    I remember when I lost my old black cat Tiberius.
    I am glad to see you surrounded but Love here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cuts deep, Dr Spo, as you well know only too well. Living one day at a time, today promises to be one of the better ones, though one knows that th day of reckoning can't really be far off. While that's still awaited you can be sure that there's no shortage of love and for the old fella.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Sending good thoughts your way. It's heart-rending when a pet is unwell, and they only have their eyes to communicate with you. Wishing you strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Walt. It's not looking good right now. (14.45) He's in the kitchen trying to sleep, and my floodgates have opened.

      Delete
  13. c'mon, blackso, get well soon! many people out here send you snorgles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, W.Q. Looking dire. I daren't think what the next few hours will bring. If he survives until the morning it'll be the vet, and the heart of me is being ripped out to think that he may not be coming back. I'm so desperately sad.

      Delete
  14. So relieved that Blackso is eating - very good sign. All you can do is take it one day at a time and give him all the love you can. Amber and I are sending him hugs and kisses and some additional love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you again, Paul. Looking like the end isn't far away. Been stroking him gently while talking to him. He's looking confused like he doesn't know where he is. Dare not think what my next blog is going to be. My heart is breaking.

      Delete
  15. Ray, I don't know you, or Blackso, but my heart does go out to both of you. Sending love and support, hoping for the best. Blackso is supported by your love, he couldn't be in better hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Elaine. He's been a priceless treasure all these years and I'd like to think that he puts a similar value on me as his carer. If tomorrow goes the way I fear it will, I don't know how I'll ever live down the sense of betrayal of him that I'll be feeling for myself.
      Ever grateful for your kind, supportive words.

      Delete
  16. Were his eyes flickering rapidly from side to side? I suspect it's unconnected with the fall. My cat had this a couple of years ago and I took her to the emergency vet - I thought she'd had a stroke. I watched as she fell over, appeared to lose the use of her back legs and then she dragged herself into a dark corner and promptly evacuated both ends, just as you describe, and with the flickering eyes. I took her to the vet, imagining there would be no return journey.

    Before even opening the basket, the vet diagnosed Vestibular Syndrome. Its not a stroke but something to do with the blood supply to the brain. I was advised that it might never happen again; or it could happen occasionally; or so frequently that it would be unkind to let things continue. The vet gave an anti-nausea injection and advised me to keep her somewhere quiet and dark.

    By the next morning she was back to normal - if I hadn't witnessed it happen, I'd just have assumed she'd had a tummy upset. She hasn't had another attack but she does have a residual tremor, a sort of tic.

    I'm absolutely sure that's what Blackso has had, Google it and you'll find lots of info. Fingers crossed he will not have any more, hope he returns to normal and you can relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Athene. The hope in your final para has, for the moment been realised. (You'll see the vet's reaction to your suggestion in my posting of this morning.)
      He had a tablet this morning, now two and a half hours ago, and so far no more fits, though of course they could occur anytime at all. Let's hope the tablets do the trick. I'll continue to post, while trying to get the whole business into some kind of proportion after splurging on about it in recent posts.
      Thanks again for your thoughts, advice and support. Very much appreciated.

      Delete