Tuesday 21 October 2014

Film: ' '71 '

Very tense, very brutal thriller set at the height of the Northern Ireland troubles, the title referring to the year of this story.

Paris-born, London-raised director, Yann Demange, creates a highly impressive, nail-chewing drama in which, once the situational scenario has been set, never lets up on the suspense for an instant.

An English rookie soldier in the British army is sent to Belfast where, as  part of a unit trying to flush out IRA-supporting Republicans, he gets caught up in a local riot and, through a lapse on checking by his commanding officer before a hurried withdrawal, he finds himself left alone in a predominantly Catholic, and hence vehemently anti-British, area where he has no alternative but to try to survive by wits and subterfuge. This is a part of Belfast where everyone has to be on one of two sides. Violent hostility between the two communities rules, as well as full-on hostility against the British army from the Catholic side (of all ages), with swift 'justice' meted out where it's seen to be 'required'. Prevaricators are not tolerated, neither by Catholics nor Protestants. This film dwells mainly on the republicans' anti-British army stance.
The tension is immediately palpable after the initial scene-setting, when the terrified lone soldier (Jack O'Connelll - totally believable in the role) tries to find his way back to barracks without drawing attention to himself. There are several very violent scenes, including at least one extended and especially grisly section where I had to look away.

The angle the film is aimed for is that the audience be willing the young soldier to survive, he being a reluctant pawn in the horrific situation he's found himself, not through his own fault. But even so, there are no 'goodies' and baddies' in this world. To cloud the issue even further, can we be absolutely sure of the loyalties of people claiming a particular allegiance?

I jumped in my seat once or twice at unexpected sudden events. It's all very skilfully managed, though with a bit of background music, which wasn't too obtrusive. There was also the obligatory, torrential downpour at one point, though in this case it did effectively underline the nervous tension.

Another thing in the film's favour is that it's a comfortable, mere 100 minutes long (always music to my ears).

A very taut thriller, expertly accomplished, and I'd defy anyone not to be gripped by it...................7.5.


16 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to this new spin on the chase horror genre.....good review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an original idea for a film, J.G., and a situation that is all to credible. I'm sure you'll not regret having spent the money, though you'll also need a strong stomach for THAT scene to which I refer.

      Delete
  2. As a rule, I normally don't see movies like this. This one may be the exception to the rule.

    Judging from what you write, I can totally see Jack O'Connell, who was so good in "Weekender" in the role.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it travels to a theater in my area. If not, it goes on "The Raybeard List" which is a list of films that you reviewed that I'm interested in, but have little or no chance of seeing in the theater but in subsequent months to check for a DVD or streaming release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This strikes me as a film with more parochial appeal, Paul, so I'm not sure it would get a wide release outside these isles. but one can never tell.
      I wasn't sure of the name of Jack O'Connell, though might have seen him before in passing. Here he does a very good job - and the film makes fine work as showing him as someone not unblemished himself. It would have been so easy to have depicted the role as that of an immaculate hero.

      This film is further concern for when it comes to deciding on my Top 10 of 2014. I don't recall such a year when there has been so many films of near-excellence like this one that are jostling for position right up there.

      Delete
  3. Darn it I don't see this one on at the local cinema. le sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me, Sol. It's certainly being taken up by the art-house circuit as it's had all-round positive notices, and I think at least one of the big chains are showing it. I think it will come to somewhere near you eventually. It deserves to.

      Delete
  4. Hey Ray, didn't know if you are interested. Alpro almond milk is on offer in Tescos. Usually £1.69 is only £1 at the mo. Lovely on cereal or porridge, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a conveniently-located Tesco in this here town, Sol, though there may well be one on the outskirts for motorists. As I don't drive and have to physicaclly carry everything on foot I'm afraid that your kind thought isn't of practical value, though it is much appreciated. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I really want to take a history course on Ireland; if I can find an objective historian. I want to learn about this stuff.

    "71" is a long time code/slang word (for me anyway) for a major disappointment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a most contentious episode in British history, Dr Spo - and very much literally so. Can hardly believe that this particular scenario was 43 years ago myself. Seems much more recent than that.

      Btw: Many of us Brits could never quite understand why so many Americans were, seemingly, so fulsome in their support of the IRA. It may have been a distortion of the media of the time, it being a 'better story', but it did leave a lot of us unable to fathom out why the Republican side were seen as being worthy of such assistance as finance and weaponry. Of course there'd been hideous historical oppression of the Catholic side for centuries, which all sides now appreciate, but some of us couldn't help but feel that the IRA were riding on top of that resentment for their own political ends, justifiably or otherwise. (I'll shut up now or I'm going to drown in deep waters!)

      Delete
    2. Yanks of Irish background have (alas) little sense of perspective of history.

      Delete
    3. Well it's all relative, Dr Spo. I never cease to be amazed at the high proportion (seemingly) of Brits who haven't a clue about their own country's history - or geography, come to that. I dare say that ignorance is pretty much at the same level the world over. And yes, few Brits would know about Irish history too - though, referring to what you're saying here, one would have thought that if you're going to trumpet your Irish ancestry the least one might expect is to be clued up on what it entailed history-wise..

      Delete
    4. I am very proud of my knowledge of British History; it's another reason why I should emigrate and be a subject of her Majesty. i am wasted here in the states.

      Delete
    5. You're a rarity indeed, Dr Spo. I wouldn't expect those of foreign countries to be well-versed in British history - and wouldn't hold my head in despair at their ignorance as I would for my compatriots. I like to think my knowledge of American history is better than that of most Brits but I'm not at all sure I'd outdo you on a reciprocal test.

      Delete
    6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fowKS6LPQUI&index=1&list=FLUDivD4nj0S1eR80a-IrbeQ

      Delete
    7. Thanks very much for that, Dr Spo. I wasn't aware of this clip and it's certainly jollied up this Sun morn before I go and get my newspaper and return to the world's cares.

      Some of us are looking with keen anticipation to see if our present monarch is going to beat Victoria's long reign, which should come about next year if she survives - and there's no reason to think that she won't as she looks to be still remarkably sprightly for her age. In fact I'm wondering rather more whether I'll survive until then.
      When she finally does go then we'll have Chuck (with his lovely Camilla) as the oldest monarch ever to accede to the English/British throne - that is providing HE survives!

      Delete