Thursday 23 May 2019

Film: 'High Life'

Too many distressing images and moments, some really grisly, in this set-in-space tale for me to say that I 'enjoyed' it - a few of which, though brief, involved dogs. As ever, anything involving animals suffering cuts particularly deep with me, though there'll be others who can put such behind them with greater ease. That aside, I had a pervading feeling that the film was attempting to be profound, presenting a mystifying set-up and denouement covering what was ultimately rather hollow.


Robert Pattinson is one of a motley bunch of travellers spending years en route (one-way) to a black hole, at a speed close to that of light, relaying information back to Earth on what they witness and encounter. They are a curious lot and it's never fully explained why they come to be passengers, it looking like a kind of sentence for committing some crimes? Pattinson has a baby daughter as co-traveller, clearly born recently on the voyage (the mother? I don't know) who consumes much of his attention which he shares with the cultivation of an on-board garden  (in the manner of the 1972 film 'Silent Running'). Also on board and mysteriously caring for (and exploiting?) the 'passengers' physical attributes is medic/nurse/scientist Juliette Binoche who has some degree of authority over the others.
There's a fair bit of sexual activity of a kind (including an attempted rape), something which is rarely, if ever, addressed in space films, though it's a reasonable inclusion given the long periods of time involved - though none of it is particularly 'pleasant'. Of course with a number of passengers forced to live in close proximity to each other for interminable lengths there are incidents of friction between them, occasionally turning to physical violence.

It's not a big-budget film. The few scenes in outer space look fairly routine, nothing special, the essence of the drama being the psychological interplay between characters.

Director (and co-writer) is the French Claire Denis, my age and with a considerable back catalogue, none of whose films I believe I've ever seen. She also has a minor acting role in this film. If you ever thought that a female director, especially a 73-year old, would be liable to go easy on the violence, think not so. Denis proves that when it comes to portraying brutality and blood-letting action she is every bit as capable of not holding back as any other. 

This is obviously intended to be a hard-hitting film. If it is then too many questions got in the way for me to appreciate it, in addition to those distractingly upsetting scenes, making me wish I hadn't been to pay to see it. But it's competent enough and I'm sure there'll be those who thought "Wow". Just don't count me among them.................5.

(IMDb...............6 / Rott Toms............3/5)

14 comments:

  1. Wow Ray! You are getting through the films at the moment. Quicker than I am able to comment! I take on board all your reviews and decided the K.Reeves is a definite no for me. The last one and this I would watch when they come around but wouldn't go out of my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have a chance to catch up now, Carol (if you felt you wanted it) as there'll now be a bit of a hiatus for at least a few days.
      I've only got 23 films to go before I hit the magic 5,000 and start slowing down, only going to see films I badly want to see, which might mean I reduce my cinema visits to an average of a mere once a week. I hope then that you'll be able to manage with the new 'arrangement'. ;-)

      Delete
  2. This one sounds bleak, in every way imaginable.

    I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By some measure I found this the 'nastiest' film I've seen so far this year, Bob, probably since a couple of years or more.

      Delete
  3. Don't count me along either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should hope I wouldn't, Dr Spo. It's only for if you're in the mood for what I'd categorise as a deeply unpleasant experience.

      Delete
  4. I am always lagging behind on seeing films but my husband bought me the Bohemian Rhapsody D.V.D. for my birthday last weekend and we watched it last night. I thought it was wonderful. It was so nostalgic for me and I loved every minute of it. If I closed my eyes I could believe that was Freddie. I really enjoyed it and will keep it to watch again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was staggered to discover that I saw 'Bo Rhap' over 7 months ago, Carol. It feels more like three or even just two! (My review is on 25th Oct last, if you haven't already read it and still want to).
      It makes me quite as keen to see 'Rocketman' when everyone seems to be saying that the latter is just as good or even better - a noteworthy difference being that, unlike Malik (who was, of course, brilliant at his re-creation of Freddy) Egerton does all his own singing, so that has got to be a point in its favour. (So when you "closed your eyes" was it during the singing? 'Cos if so that really WAS Freddy!)
      For me the trailer of 'Rocket' didn't look anything special but I'm ready to be swayed. Maybe you're not a fan of Elton, as I am as well as I am of Queen, but I'm going along with high hopes. But, yes, I could easily watch Bo Rhap again too - but only when it comes on telly.

      Delete
  5. I did read your review and you are right that it doesn't seem that long ago. That's why I wanted to say that I have now seen it. I thought that Malik did his own singing, that would explain why it sounded like Freddy.

    I am not such a fan of Elton John as I was of Queen so would only watch "Rocket Man" when it comes to T.V. I would be interested to see what you think though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elton pencilled in for next Thurs, Carol. Looking forward to it, which I wasn't a few days ago. Am incensed, but not surprised, to read that the version 'approved' for showing in Russian cinemas has been shorn by five crucial minutes - just as they 'had' to doctor 'Bo Rhap'. Just what are they afraid of? Well, we know the answer to that - the support of the Russian Orthodox Church. Strewth!

      Delete
    2. I just went back to your review of B.R.and I was surprised that I hadn't commented as I felt sure that I had done. Maybe it was because Rachel reviewed it too and perhaps I had already commented.

      I googled the singing and it says they used a mixture of Freddy and a Canadian singer who sounds a bit like him and Malik. Malik can sing but couldn't sound just like Freddy so a lot of Freddy was added in. That explains why I thought it sounded so like Freddy. I feel better for knowing the facts as I did kind of think that no one can really sound like Freddy. The film makes me admire him all over again.

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's what I thought had happened to portray Freddy's singing - or something like it.
      Though between Freddy and Elton I think Freddy is much the more interesting person as well as being a phenomenal singer, I'm totally in awe of Elton's songwriting talents, or at least the music side of it. The back catalogue of gems that he's helped to create by now must be pretty well unrivalled in pop music - or very close to it.

      Delete
  6. I hope you review the godzilla movie - somewhat because I actually saw a movie and it's the one I saw !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously posted this before you'd seen my comment on your own blog, with the reason for my NOT seeing the film. These things happen!

      Delete