Tuesday 25 September 2018

Film: 'A Simple Favo(u)r'

This is more like it! It's a cracker!
I've a keen liking for quirky films and this is full of quirks, especially in the opening scenes as well as those concluding. In between it gets quite serious-strange and unsettling. 

Filmed in Ontario (standing in for U.S.A. - I think), Anna Kendrick is a widowed mum of a six-year old son who meets the stuck-up, bristling with self-assuredness, mother (Blake Lively) of another boy in the same class, who invites her to her home where she meets the husband (Henry Golding), a one-hit-wonder writer.  The two women, through their sons' close friendship, themselves form an attachment which quickly embraces an intimacy - at least verbally - exchanging secrets and confidentialities. Then, out of the blue, while Kendrick is waiting for Lively to collect her son after school, she vanishes. Finding out that she's gone to Miami "for a few days" which her husband apparently didn't know about, though he gives the impression that she's done similar disappearing tricks before with no warning. 
To say much more is difficult as it would spoil the many twists and turns (twists within twists), quite enough to leave one giddy - yet totally intrigued as to what actually is going on and how it's going to develop.

The script is sharp and smart throughout, the story inventive - well, apart from one moment when someone 'known' to be dead re-appears, the explanation for which harks back to those films of old when what seems impossible is too neatly disposed of by resorting to an unlikely reveal which we hadn't known until then. But this happens halfway through the film and once accepted, the film carries on with its maze of revelations, so it didn't worry me too much.

The extended 'solution' scenes at the end, which attempt to tie up the loose ends, I must confess I couldn't follow entirely. However, it didn't matter as the theatricality of the situation the characters find themselves in carries it all through to a most satisfying climax.

Director Paul Feig, probably best known for the entertaining 'Bridesmaids' (2011), does sterling work with this tale. for which he surely owes a great debt of gratitude to Jessica Sharzer for the highly pointed screenplay, based on novel by Darcey Bell.  

I was starting to wonder when I would see another good, 'quality' film again. Why, it's been a full two weeks! Now this one comes along and I must say it fitted the bill very nicely, thank you.............7.5.

(IMDb............7.2 / Rott. Toms..........7.0 )


   


8 comments:

  1. Phew, well that's a relief. I am glad you liked it. You mark low so I guess 7.5 is all I could expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close to an '8', Rachel. Shame that 7.75 wasn't an option.
      On IMDb, where one can only rate in whole numbers, I did give it an '8' - a rare event when my own score is higher than other viewers' average.

      Delete
    2. I don't know why 7.75 wasn't an option as it is your blog.

      Delete
    3. Ah, that would be against the 'rules' - MY rules. :-)

      Delete
    4. You should have given it an 8 without hesitation.

      Delete
    5. Only two films so far this year have earned an '8' and this is hardly in the same class as those. Just one has got an 8.5 (and one, a re-see, a 9). To find out which I'm talking about you'll have to wait till the year-end when I post my 10 most-liked.

      Delete
  2. I am not much of a fan of either actress,but I will say the previews had me intrigued, and now so does your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the names of the two big 'stars', Bob, but not much about their previous efforts - and wouldn't have been able to name anything at all of theirs. But if you're able to look past it, 'intriguing' is just the word for which the film qualifies - and good fun too.

      Delete