Monday 7 May 2018

Film: 'Nothing Like a Dame'

Very enjoyable confection of four veteran British actresses on whom the title of 'Dame' has been conferred, reminiscing together in the way that they've been doing for years, only this time with cameras present.
The illustrious quartet comprises Maggie Smith. Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins (all three of these now 83 and due to add a further year later in 2018) and Joan Plowright, 88,  practically, if not completely, blind now, also with hearing difficulties. The first two of the four named are, of course, well known to cinema and TV audiences. the latter two probably better remembered for their theatrical work, though they have both appeared in a number of films as well. (For those who don't know, Joan Plowright is the widow of Sir Lawrence Olivier, so he features prominently in their anecdotes). 
These four ladies meet up periodically in a country house (Joan Ps? in Sussex?) for a regular chinwag on this and that.
Talking points are random, though all connected with their acting careers - the direction of conversation sometimes guided or prompted by the film's director, Roger Michell ('Notting Hill' etc) from off-screen. The film crew becomes occasionally intrusive, though the four are never rude about it. 
It's not filmed in one continuous take, moving from the garden to indoors when it starts to rain, and even then it's freely chopped about, featuring brief illustrations of the films they mention as well as some of the theatre productions when they'd been recorded.

A lot of the talk frequently gets giggly, as one might imagine, and there are more than a few LOL moments - e.g. When discussing Shakespeare's 'Antony and Cleopatra' in which Judi Dench appeared on stage alongside the late Alan Bates, the latter telling Judi D. that he thought Cleo's was a far better part than Antony's, to which they all agreed - with Maggie S. tartly adding "Well, he'd have preferred to have acted as Cleopatra anyway!"
Catty remarks abound though none of it is really malicious. I could have done with just a little more bite and acerbity to some of the remarks though the four were observably conscious of the cameras the whole time, which might understandably have held them back. And, of course, it hardly need saying that the whole thing is unscripted.
Nevertheless, it's superior entertainment at just under an hour and a half, and I've seen too many films of the same length or longer, much longer, which didn't pack even a fraction of the satisfaction which this one gave me........................7.5

8 comments:

  1. Bet you could move for gay men in the audience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking out for it, JayGee, but there were probably no more than a handful, though it did include a couple in my row. Being an 11.15 matinee I think the evening screenings would score higher on that account. Hope you get to see it - I just KNOW you'd like to!

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good and safe watch, Rachel, with nothing at all to upset one.

      Delete
  3. Maggie Smith. Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins and Joan Plowright....all four brilliant women and legends at their craft. I adore them all and with exception to Atkins, the other three starred in my of my all time favorite films Tea with Mussolini. I look forward to this very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sure to get a lot out if it, M.M., though I have to warn you that it's particularly sad to see Joan P. in such a reduced condition, even though she is older than the others by several years.

      Delete
  4. If we in the USA are fortunate to have this film travel across the pond, than I will be at the theater to spend a delightful afternoon with these ladies.

    Saddened to learn about Joan P. Didn't see much of her when she was younger. Happily I saw her in "Mrs. Palfrey At The Claremont" and fell in love with that film. Never get tired of watching it. Your post has inspired me to watch "Ladies In Lavender" this evening - a film which is always worth another look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although it's depressing to see J.P. in her most probably final state, she does attempt to join in gamely with the others, who are all respectful and patient to her.
      I've never heard of 'Mrs Palfrey' and when I look it up I find that, quite unaccountably, it never got a theatrical release here. Astonishing!
      For some reason I recall her most vividly in 'Drowning by Numbers' (1988), one of Peter Greenaway's very best, I thought. Also in earlier b/w films like 'The Entertainer'. Most of her work was for TV, though, which explains why I haven't seen her in all that much.

      I've almost forgotten about 'Ladies in Lavender'. Even reading the synopsis now it doesn't ring any bells - though I did see it back in 2004 on its release. Time for a re-view, I think.

      Delete