Tuesday 21 April 2015

Film: 'Relatos Salvajes' ('Wild Tales')

This is my kind of film - and it's an absolute cracker!


When it opened a couple of weeks ago in this region it was showing at such ridiculously inconvenient (i.e. late) times I was distraught to be missing it in the light of the practically unanimously positive reviews it had received. But the gods heard my prayer and unaccountably, it being neither a blockbuster or of 'popular' taste, brought it to my home town for a limited showing. And was it worth it? YES and double YES!

An Argentian film, a compendium of six separate, unconnected stories played out sequentially, written and directed by one Damian Szifron, clearly a talent to be watched.
The tales do, in fact, have something in common - they all involve circumstances spiralling out of control and downwards, some of them unconsciously triggered by the most insignificant happening or strange coincidence. Even the one that begins with a tragedy descends ever deeper into the mire.
One might expect that the individual six stories would be uneven in quality. Maybe they are so, but not by a huge margin - and each is vastly entertaining, never boring for an instant.

Special mention must be made of the first one, which is the shortest (and also pre- the title credits) which, unknown to the film-makers at the time (completed last year), uncannily and closely predicts a horrific event on everybody's news just a few weeks ago. It's one hell of a chilling start, and if the film had been made after that particular event it would certainly have been dropped or the story altered. Of course it's pure coincidence.

Each of the tales has an edge of black humour to it, to which some may not be in tune. Myself, I laughed aloud several times during the two hours, which seemed to fly by.

The grisliest story is a section which only features two motorists. Talk about events 'snowballing', this caps the lot! - and it's rounded off with a killer (if you'll excuse the word) of a final line which just had me in stitches despite the most macabre of scenes.

Others include - a guy's reaction to being charged with a common parking offence which escalates out of all proportion; a customer arriving at a restaurant and being recognised by the waitress holding a long-term grudge; a tragic motoring accident with an attempt to cover the truth of the driver's identity; and, in the final segment, a wedding reception such as never before.

My only very slight reservation is that one of the stories (or, arguably, two) ends on a bit of an upbeat which, I suppose, is intended to act as a counterpoise to the rest. I would have found it more satisfying if they had all ended in the depths of hell, but maybe it was felt that that would have been expecting the audience to accept more than it was capable of doing. But it's by no means a serious criticism.

Great acting throughout. I simply loved it - and, along with 'Ex Machina', it's my favourite film of the year so far..................8.5






11 comments:

  1. How did I miss this Ray? I don't remember reading any reviews. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I love Argentine cinema and this is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Craig. It's had a very low-profile opening - yet it's so deserving of fanfares. Maybe because of the fact that it contains no actors whom 'Western' audiences would recognise.
      If you're favourably disposed to Argentinian cinema I positively guarantee that this will knock you out. If it doesn't, sue me!

      Btw: One of its producers is Pedro Almodovar.

      Delete
  2. Ray,
    Yet another film per Ray that I add to my Netflix queue. I'll let you know what I think of it when I watch it. But so far all your reviews have been spot on.
    Thanks!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked Ray, this film isn't in my Netflix account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is a great loss, Ron. I can only think that it's too good. Maybe they thought that people don't like 'quality' - and by doing that they're depriving many of a treat. Shame on Netflix!

      Delete
    2. Ray,
      I saw it!!!!!! Finally Netflix put it in my queue. Oh why can't all movies be of this quality?
      Ron

      Delete
    3. It was a gem, Ron, that came out of the blue. Just shows you can never know where the next goodie is coming from. So pleased that at least one of my blog-pals caught it - though you might well be the only one.

      Delete
  4. If this film is half as interesting as your review, it must definitely be a winner. It sounds refreshingly unique - - probably because it's Argentian (the word "unique" is almost unknown in Hollywood nowadays). It is particularly attractive to me because I love anything with black humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's black humour you're after, Jon, you'll get it in shovelfuls here.
      I hope you manage to catch it as it's the kind of film where one needs other opinions. Sadly, being subtitled, that fact deters a lot of its potential audience, some of whom would have been sure to have enjoyed it. But such is the way of the world. Thank goodness that there are people like you and Craig and Ron and.....doubtless others.

      Delete
  5. I do read these: I want you to know I drop by regularly
    Like a matron playing a las vegas slot machine I keep waiting for a payoff to wit a movie I have actually seen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for you to review a film that I have NOT yet seen, Dr Spo. It is quite possible as release dates round the globe are staggered. And then it's become more likely recently because, for reasons given in a recent blog, more films than before which I want to see are now becoming out of reach because of altered screening times. So, don't lose heart!

      Delete