Wednesday 16 April 2014

Film: 'DIVERGENT'

Quite honestly, I've long since had more than my fill of films set in a future where society is organised according to rules purportedly survival-necessary for the human race and its progress. (See - I didn't even use the word 'dystopian'!). My heart sank within minutes on discovering that here (set in a crumbling Chicago) humanity is divided into five 'factions' based on positive human attributes. One cannot help but recall Huxley's 'Brave New World' where a five-fold division of individuals is also enforced, though in that piece of literature it is in vertical ranking order of assumed 'worth', whereas here the divisions are, officially at least, horizontal and equal, the factions being intended to compliment each other, co-existing with mutual accommodation.

I went to see the film because I understand that the book by Veronica Roth is of some significance in contemporary fiction, though I haven't read it.
Something in the film's favour is that among director Neil Burger's credits is his accomplishment of the rewarding 'Limitless' (2011) as well as the reasonable 'The Illusionist' of five years prior to that. 

A Shailene Woodley (new name to me) plays the lead, the 'Divergent' of the title, who discovers in the initial categorising of recruits (much less fun than Hogwart's 'Sorting Hat') that she doesn't fall naturally into any of the categories, though after the initial procedure they are allowed to choose their group themselves, disregarding their test results if they wish. However, once a decision is made it is irreversible. She chooses the 'Dauntless' group, in charge of law enforcement with a training programme full of derring-do tasks. However, anyone known to be 'divergent' in any faction is regarded as a threat to order and society and must be eliminated. So, wise girl, she keeps her self-discovery to herself. She has to prove to others in her group that she has cojones. Anyone who doesn't come up to scratch in training and the obstacle-course of tests and trials is dismissed from the group, cast out with uncertain and unpleasant fate. So does she pass muster and  give 'em hell? By golly she does!

There's familial loyalties to consider (both her parents and a brother), and within her group, female friendship and a smattering of (inconsummated) romance.


Kate Winslet makes occasional briefish appearances as some kind of high-ranking supervisor/manageress, steely ice-queen at times but also with a caring heart, at least as long as it doesn't interfere with her duties. She's very strict about rooting out 'divergents' but doesn't suss out that she spends a lot of her limited time on screen talking to one.

In spite of what I've just said I didn't find this rather over-long film completely devoid of entertainment value. It was a bit better than I expected, though ultimately a shallow experience which I'll be forgetting in a trice. I don't know if it does justice to the source book. If it does it doesn't exactly make me want to read it - and I shan't be first in the queue to see any film sequels....................................5/10.

6 comments:

  1. this one doesn't sound good; I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't imagine you'd be missing anything of great moment, Dr Spo. Can't see it included in a future list of 'classics' - or even on a list of particularly enjoyable films (though some may disagree).

      Delete
  2. You see this is why I am trying not to watch it.

    I have read the books and just watching the trailers it isn't good. I will wait for the DVD. I raced to read them and now don't think I should see it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While watching it I remembered that you were ambivalent about seeing the film, Sol. Not being familiar with the book I don't know, of course, how close this comes to it - though it's very rare in my experience where seeing a film afterwards of a book that one has liked is as rewarding an experience. But do bear in mind that I am way beyond the target audience (probably by some 50 years!) so your own perception is bound to be different and, quite possibly, more favourable.

      Delete
  3. Your opening sentence said it all for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a very personal reaction, Mitch, but it conveys my sentiments. Younger audience members will clearly NOT have had enough of this genre - but, given time, they will.

      Delete