Sunday 17 July 2022

Still here! - mono-visioned and newly disappointed.


Well, just in case anyone had wondered about, or even noticed, my absence, I can reassure such that I am still here and surviving, albeit in 'depleted' state. 

In April I posted about the 100% success of my first cataract removal. The other eye had the same operation last Tues, and (to be generous), I'll rate its 'success' at 0%. Different surgeon this time. The 'old' lens he was trying to remove apparently broke up into a myriad of pieces, all drifting into the jelly-like substance (vitreous humor) in the main body of the eyeball. Of course there could be then no attempt made to fix a new lens in. The result is that I have very blurred vision through that eye which now, unsurprisingly, has significantly more 'floaters' than it had before, some alarmingly large. The operation, such as it was, was twice as long as the first time, and unlike that occasion, was quite painful to undergo, with considerable jabbings. Afterwards, with me not being sure what had happened, while told to sit in a  post-operation waiting area, the surgeon came out, very apologetically, explained what had happened, and gave me a consolatory handshake. 

So now I have to await a call from a (different) hospital which will be sent my records to assess what can be done - hopefully quickly and none too complicated, assuming they've met this problem enough times before so they know how to remedy it.

Meanwhile, the medication I've been prescribed to take down the eye swelling has finished today. It's been zonking me out severely, my sleeping something like 18 hours a day - or more! Also it took away my appetite, everything tasting 'different' - even water - and not in a pleasant way.


And all this while we are suffering the most intense and prolonged heatwave in 50 years, peaking tomorrow (Mon) and Tues when temps over large parts of England and even into Scotland, are expected to hit or even exceed 40 C (104 Fahrenheit), which has never been seen before in this country's recorded history! Here on the coast we could have a slightly more 'merciful' high in the mid- or upper 30s. My poor pussycats have already been suffering badly. Only wish I could tell them it's just for another two days - at least we fervently hope.


I'll try to return to reading and commenting on blogs soonish even though reading still hasn't been that easy.


 

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the surgery went so awry. That's the scary part of eye surgery. And keep cool. We've been suffering from higher than normal temperatures, but I live in an area where everyone has air conditioning. I hope there's somewhere you can go to cool down, if you need to (even if it's just a bathtub full of cool water!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sadie. Just as well the eyes were operated on in the order they were, otherwise I'd now be virtually blind in both eyes. But they usually do them in the order of worst first anyway.
      As for the heatwave I'll just sit it out for the next 36 hours, after which temps should start returning to our 'normal'. If it had been any longer it would have been seriously problematic.
      Keep well and cool yourself.

      Delete
  2. I always like to see you posting, but am saddened to read of this news. May it mend in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have you here, Sir. You're welcome to drop by anytime.

      Delete
  3. Sending good thoughts that everything works out for the best ... and that the heat wave ends!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been called to the eye hospital, Bob - a few mins ago -- on Wed, which is also when the heatwave should be coming to its end. So here's hoping! Thanks for your thoughts - and NO prayers, please (as if you would!).

      Delete
  4. Of course we notice your absence in blogging and commenting. I am so sorry you are suffering and have to go through this. I am hoping that there is corrective action to help. Please keep us posted. I will keep you in my thoughts.

    Hugs.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, S/b. Just hoping now that the remedy is simple, perhaps routine, is soon - and it works!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I hope another surgeon can improve the situation. My second lens was difficult to remove but my only issue was that the anti-anxiety drug began to wear off before the doctor finished. Wishing you a much improved outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, Mitch. What a business this is! Going to the hospital on this Wed. Should know more then.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear that this went so badly wrong. I hope they will be able to correct this. It must be very worrying for you. Do keep us posted and I hope to hear better news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. It really is most unsettling, but what can one do but wait and hope. Further news will be posted as and when I hear.

      Delete
  7. Based on news reports I've caught, you've been experiencing quite the wave. Do stay cool and comfortable. Sorry to hear about your eye. Hopefully there is a solution to be found. Wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been a foretaste of Hell itself here, U., with records tumbling everywhere - and though a bit cooler now, we're by no means out of the woods yet.
      (I've said more, lots more, on my eye in my next post) Thanks for calling by...

      Delete
  8. Ray,
    So sorry to hear about your cataract complication. The same thing happened to my late brother during his first cataract operation. It was the woman’s first time and she shattered the new lens in multiple pieces by incorrectly inserting the new lens in my brother’s eye. He never did get his full vision back in that eye although his left eye was done without complications. Coincidentally I am sitting in my doctor’s office now for my one week post op on my first cataract surgery last Thursday. Of course they’re late keeping my appointment ) half an hour so far) but that is to be expected I was so nervous about my surgery but it turned out great. I have clear vision out my right eye and brilliant colors that I never thought I would see again. My next surgery is scheduled for September. I hope your issue is resolved soon. Having clear vision is so great that I’m not even agitated that I’m still waiting to see me doctor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope, Anon, that any procedures you just had turned out successful. I'd never make light of anyone who's gone through suffering in this area now, especially when I know first-hand what misery it can bring. I'm now waiting for the gradual improvement - which, admittedly, is maddeningly slow - to manifest itself, now one week since the 'corrective' surgery. Still can't read with that eye. Just as well that the vision in the other is so brilliant that so far it really does compensate for the loss in the other, though I still hanker for what the other OUGHT to be like.
      Thanks ever so for your visit - and all the best to you!

      Delete