Wednesday 10 December 2014

Film: 'Paddington'

Fairly standard entertainment which delivers what is expected. Passably pleasant enough, but with (for me) no 'WOW!' nor 'LOL' moments.

I'd never seen any representation at all of the eponymous being in comics or TV programmes, but I'd gleaned enough to know what I was in for - viz that P.B. hailed from Peru, spoke English, had a large penchant for marmalade, wore a duffle coat - and was created by Michael Bond.

Voiced agreeably by Ben Whishaw, the bear finds himself on London's Paddington station, having expected that the English would be falling over themselves to take care of him. Far from that being the case, he is eventually pitied on and picked up by a family consisting of all-sweetness and sympathy Sally Hawkins, with uninterested hubby Hugh Bonneville and their two teenage children (of whom, mercifully, we only see a modicum). Taking him to their central London home (which must have cost them several million £s) where there's also ageing, slightly doddery but wise relative, Julie Walters, P.B. creates havoc with various domestic appliances, especially in the bathroom.  There's also cantankerous neighbour, Peter Capaldi, (the current Dr Who), who wants rid of the bear - but above all, Nicole Kidman, playing arch-villainess up to the hilt with icy precision, whose aim is to have the bear as a stuffed exhibit, he being the sole captured specimen of that species.

Although it's all very efficiently done (these days one demands nothing less) in a fairy tale-like, impossibly clean, idealised London, there's little originality to hold one's attention - kidnapping, break-in, rescue being foiled, eventually the 'baddie' getting her just deserts, it observes the rules of a children's story - and I dare say that children will be satisfied by it. But for adults, despite the originality of the title character, I didn't see anything distinctive enough about it to make it memorable.
Director Paul King, whose first feature film this appears to be, does what he can with the relatively flimsy material.

Undemanding fayre for the festive season then, but might have gone down better with a glass of port or sherry beforehand.........................5/10.

16 comments:

  1. This is one I wont be seeing. It just doesnt appeal in any way. Other people have given it lower scores. 3 and lower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only went because the other films around that I badly want to see are inaccessible through their times of screening, Sol. I didn't expect to be swept off my feet and I wasn't, so no surprise there.

      Delete
  2. I'd rather stick a knitting needle through my eyeballs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't do that, J.G. You might hurt yourself. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry I haven't commented for a while. I've fallen so far behind on my reading. I just read all your recent views that I had missed and I'm grateful. This sounds kind of like my reaction to Winnie the Pooh. For me, it was really nice to be introduced but all that followed were just too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Mitch. A welcome mat awaits you whenever you're able to call.
      I'd never heard of Paddington Bear when I was a kid - though that may have been something to do with the fact that he hadn't yet been written about. On the other hand I had heard of Winnie, though to this date I've never ever read any of the stories. I've found neither Padd nor Pooh particularly endearing characters - and this film doesn't change that.

      Delete
  4. I consider my self well read, but I confess: I have not read the Paddington Bear series. I should prior to seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you intend to see this? I wouldn't warn you off from doing so, as long as you know what you're in for, and that it's unlikely to change your world and your perception of it. Still, one never knows.....

      Delete
    2. No, I mean to read the books.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. So you were employing the subjunctive (with implied common 3rd person plural) by your 'I should....', then? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Ray,
    Your reviews are so good. So much better than many professional reviewers. I do hope someone discovers you and your talent for reviewing and hires you and pays you a lot of money to write your reviews for a newspaper.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying that, Ron. I'm afraid I started doing these so late in the day that I'm already wanting to wind down - partly through reasons of economy, partly because of lowering enthusiasm in cinema-visiting, but also because I feel I'm increasingly alienated by the kind of film that is so popular these days. It's only to be expected for someone of my age, I suppose, but when it gets to be evermore an UNenjoyable experience one has to wonder when it's time to give up. Still, having said that, there ARE gems being produced, which when seen seems to make the wait and effort worthwhile.

      Delete
  6. By the way, I have made it my personal goal never to see a movie with cartoon characters. I'll have to take a deeper examination of why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this one is CGI rather than 'cartoon', Ron, I take your point. I don't quite share your aversion though if you're suggesting that you don't see them because such hand-created characters try to compensate for lack of substance, then I'm afraid that you're right again.

      Delete
  7. As a rabid Paddington fan from a small child, I was stoked to hear they had made a movie! However, after watching the trailer, I was so upset. They didnt really follow the books at all! Yes, they found him on the Paddington platform, and yes the neighbor is a grumpy gus, but thats about it. They could have made a fabulous movie using the source material and blew it!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, B.H. Very interesting to hear from someone who had huge expectations for this film based on your reading of the original material, only to feel greatly let down. I'd expect that present day children would accordingly be likewise disappointed. Certainly for adults I can't see anyone raving about it, being all quite run-of-the-mill. A wasted opportunity, then. Such a pity..

      Delete