Wednesday 21 August 2024

Broken-heart time, half of world-famous gay penguin couple dies.

 

Sphen (here left), the elder at 11 years, has died at their home in Sydney Sea Life Aquarium. His partner, Magic, younger by three years - and this will surely touch you, as it's brought myself to the edge of tears - was shown Sphen's body to help him know that his best friend will not return - at which he started 'singing' and was joined by other penguins in the colony. I'm now weeping!  Oh, cruel world!

8 comments:

  1. That is so sad. I guess 11 years is good for a penguin though and in any partnership one has to go first. Still heartbreaking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's deeply affecting, Carol. Yes, he lived to a good average age for penguins (I've only just discovered). Our hearts go out to the one who's left behind bereft, very likely not understanding what's happened, poor thing.

      Delete
  2. So sad; people never really think that animals feel love but here's the proof. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely right, Bob. Since I was a young boy I recognised that animals have emotions, and I'm sure they are felt no less keenly than we humans do. The additional pity I have is that, like human babies, they aren't able to express them, to explain and share them, which makes our own appreciating of that fact ever more necessary and valuable.

      Delete
  3. I remember hearing about these two birds. I heard more about thems on the Right howling about them even at the mention of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad enough to hear these right-wing crazies condemn we humans doing what is perfectly natural, but for them to have set their own version of 'morality' against another species really takes the cake. What next? - that animals should be made to live their lives abiding by what these clowns consider to be 'Christian values'? Sheesh!

      Delete