Wednesday 3 January 2024

First Happy NY kiss on TV from NY - draws anger and hate.

 

As I usually do early on New Year's Day, at 5 a.m (our time) I tuned in to watch Sky News TV broadcast from New York's Times Square to catch their celebrations - with the obligatory relaying of 'Ol' Blue Eyes' belting out "Start spreadin' the Noos....." Great stuff! But at the climax moment I was very pleasantly and very surprised to see the first visual kiss of 2024 being a gay one - and the camera lingered. When it was over my considered reaction was "Surely not! I must have been mistaken." and then thought little more of it - that is until this morning when I read that there's been oh-so-predictable outrage in certain American circles. (Oh, the horror of it!) The decision to show the two men physically bonded together in osculation must have been decided in advance. It's hard not to think otherwise. There was no quick change to a camera shot showing the kissing of what would be deemed a more 'acceptable' M-F couple. I think what we saw lasted at least 20 secs, possibly half-a-minute, before it turned to other similarly affectionately embracing couples. And what makes this particular first couple even worse (if that is possible!) is that this at least one of this pair seemed to be - God help us! - of mixed race!  Will there be an inquest as to how on Earth this got through? I don't see why there should be though doubtless there'll already be clamours for one.

The pictures were broadcast on CNN and ABC amongst others - and it seems Sky News used the same source. I'm only sorry that after it was over I was quick to dismiss my observation as having likely been mistaken. Now that I know for sure that I wasn't wrong I can only see it as very welcome progress. And I'm equally happy that many countries around the world will also have taken the same broadcast, no doubt causing a flurry of panic in those many countries where such images give rise to imprisonment - or even far worse. Russia maybe? - though certainly not on the 'official' Kremlin (= Putin) -controlled, anti-American channels. Would surely have given Pres. Putrid a heart attack, though I trust it wouldn't have been terminal as I'd dearly love his royal highness to live long enough to be a centenarian - though totally incapacitated, unable to move, speak, even indicate what he wants - poor chap! And fancy being the one who's delegated to changing his nappy every few hours! (Tee hee!) Must be at least as bad as having to change BLOTUS'.......erm, diaper - if it's not being done already - maybe by Rudy Giulie? But I digress. (Got a bit carried away with my hopes for the coming year). 

Anyway, to return to the subject in hand........


I haven't seen in a real-live New Year since 1990. Always been alone since then, retiring around my usual time of between 8 and 9 p.m. but inevitably woken up by the sound of fireworks. When they began I checked on the cats and found each, as expected, cowering in wide-eyed terror - one under the bed, another in a cupboard, and a third at the bottom of the stairs, where it's darkest. And they don't move until they're sure, or hope, it's all over, though the odd errant distant bang or pop sends them scurrying back to their hidey places again. 

The last New Year 'seeing-in' that I experienced and mentioned above, was 1990 in Amsterdam. In those years I had an annual routine of being at the critical time in the 'Eagle' leather bar (near the Royal Palace and on the edge of the red light district) where, at midnight, ABBA's track of 'Happy New Year' was always played to announce the arrival of the magic moment - interrupting the various intercourses or mutual consensual fumblings going on in the (purposely) dark spaces and toilets, though it probably made no difference to those already engaged and busy in such!  😄


Anyway, here's wishing my handful of blogpals (of whom I feel ever so privileged to have, every single one of you) all the very best for 2024, including all the money that you need - plus a bit more - and most important of all good and ruddy health to all of you! Cheers!!!!

                    --------------------------------------------

(Added later - 5 Jan).........

This couple's comments on the anti-gay reaction to their televised kiss here...........


https://www.thepinknews.com/2024/01/04/cnn-new-years-gay-kiss-reaction/



20 comments:

  1. Wishing you a Happy and Healthy new Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks specifically to you, Carol - and wishing no less (or even more!) to you and your closest circle of relatives and friends. Let's all hope 2024 will be a year to remember for all the RIGHT reasons (for a long awaited change)!

      Delete
  2. I saw the kiss and, while I feel some of the outrage was because it was two men, I think a great deal of the anger was the mixed race-ness of it all.
    Puritans and bigots!
    Happy New Year, sir! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's probably right - and all because it's now sadly become 'respectable' (once again) to condemn people for what they ARE. Very 'Christian'!

      'Ta' for your wishes - and the happiest of New Years to you and to yours too.

      Delete
  3. I agree w/Bob: bigots everywhere here anymore. We didn't even watch the ball drop; I don't think I have since Dick Clark died. We watch The Great British Baking show and ate lots of junk food. (It was a fabulous night!) May we all have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to google Dick Clark, Elle, a name not well known over here. So, you've not watched NY arriving in NY for about 12 years? Well, you're among many who don't bother. As I do next to nothing 'special' for both Xmas and NY, I like to see others happy, even not being part of it meself.
      I've started watching the regular British Bake Off series, but wasn't attracted to watching this particular one-off.

      I really hope your own New Year is close to everything you wish for - with peace and harmony all round, though that really is a (too?) big ask, I know. . However, all best wishes to you and yours!

      Delete
    2. Dick Clark was an icon here. We watched him religiously as a kid growing up; that was our NYE tradition. Now, anyone younger than me (I'm 60) has no idea who he is...And I can't stand Ryan Seacrest, so I don't watch any of it. We've been watching the older episodes of the Bake-off. I enjoy some of them more than others, I must admit. (And I thought Josh was robbed on the newest one.) Take care!

      Delete
    3. Ryan Seacrest? Again, another name not known here.
      I've already forgotten who the competitors were in the last BakeOff, but I know I did have my favourites, more in terms of personality than their baking results (i.e. appearances of). But still, it passes the time quite agreeably.

      Delete
  4. OH MY, Why I'm surprised this didn't bring the whole US economy to a crash!!!! I hadn't heard of this but love it. Its the small, unexpected things like this either planned, or not ,that get by and make our lives seems to be, dare I say, like those of our straight counterparts?
    I of course was out with friends for a small dinner and then a few stiffeners at their house, so this was missed by me who arrived home a little after 1:30am. And haven't had news on since.

    Years ago, I went to a similar "drop" of a strawberry here in Harrisburg. I was requested to attend the party in drag. But then at some point the party decided we should all go to see the strawberry drop. Filled with now doubt drunken straight people. I was nervous. My married friends had rented a limo. So we get there, I exit in a fitted,all-white lace, sequined and glittery gown to the ground, high necked, long sleeved, major high coiffure, and white doves nestled in the wig on the one side!!!! Well, people asked out right if I was a drag queen, to which I replied, "Did the over the top, understated style give me away?" People howled and were genuinely fascinated and ACCEPTING. I thought could the acceptance wave be happening??? One group, a male fraternity even asked to have the picture with me! There is a New Year story for you. A good memory you brought back.

    I hope you my friend will have a Happy and more important, healthy New Year!!!! I hope all good things come your way...and more snuggles and comfort from your fur kitties!

    New Years hugs to you Raybeard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very charming story of yours there, M.M. On any other night I think you would have been lucky to get away with not being assaulted, which I'm sure is more likely now on ANY night. I'd so love to have seen a photo of you in your 'costume', though I guess this was long before your blog was born.

      And but of COURSE, wishing you and yours the loveliest and healthiest of years in 2024. May most, if not all, your dreams be realised - even the impossible ones.

      Delete
  5. Like Bob said, Puritanism and racism (although Puritanism alone is racist). Wishing you and the felines a happy and healthy 2024. May the world improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All and ONLY the best for you and your 'other half, Mitch - plus, and never excluding, the ridiculously photogenic D & M.
      As for the world - I'd like to say that now the only way is up, but I fear we haven't yet hit rock bottom yet, and the possibility of the worst imaginable materialising is hanging over our heads right now - and you know exactly what/who I mean! Aaaaaaargh!

      Delete
  6. I hope 2024 is a splendid one for you ! Hugs to you my dear dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you, my dearest Sir - or, just perhaps, even MORE!

      Delete
  7. I loved that New Year's kiss! I only saw it after the fact, so to speak, but I loved it.

    Happy New Year to you! May 2024 be a good year for us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so for your good wishes, Jennifer - and wishing you at least the same, or even better!. Yes, may this year just started be good to us ALL. We most definitely could do with it being so.

      Delete
  8. It is so shocking to me, having lived most of my adult life and had my children in Greenwich Village, that in the year 2024 people are still upset about this. Now I live in a NYC suburb, where I delight in telling every Republican in sight that my boys went to drag queen story hour many times and yet, inexplicably, have not grown up to be drag queens themselves. Pity ;
    )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for your drag queen attitude, O - and for letting it be known to those who 'need' it. I follow the American news daily via YouTube (but only the more 'progressive' sources) and am constantly amazed at the depth of prejudice which has come to the fore in just recent years, and it being justified and validated. I cannot crow about our country being 'better' than others as I can plainly see how a like situation can now occur just about ANYWHERE. Scary and sobering at the same time.

      Delete
  9. All I felt upon seeing this was pure joy. I couldn't care less that others saw red or spit nails over it. F*ck them. Happy New Year to you and the Pussies, my friend.

    Sassybear

    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ver many thanks indeed, S/b. If I haven't already said so, wishing you, J. and H. a most fabulosa 2024 with enough excitements to keep you distracted in this interim before your most longed-for retirement eventually materialises. I'll be watching to see how it's going for you. XXX.

      Delete