Friday 5 May 2023

Cat micro-chipping becoming compulsory

 


I knew it was on the cards but had pushed it to the back of my mind. It now becomes mandatory in just over a month's time and so becomes priority to deal with. Failure to comply makes owner liable for up to £500 ($615 U.S.) per cat. Oh, shooooooot! Could have done right now without the costs of having it fulfilled, together with all necessary incidentals like health checks when, with everyday household expenses now being as they are, I'm getting close to checking under settee cushions for lost pennies. 

My present bevy of felines includes one, Patchie (now 17+), who already has all the essentials, including health insurance which alone is now getting on for £200 p.a. The other two, Bobby and Sloopy, moved in here (without my active encouragement) 4.5 years ago and have never been to a vet in their time here, both never having shown any signs of illness or physical pain or discomfort. I've no idea where their former homes are. Sloopy has very conspicuously not been 'doctored' so it's unlikely that he was well looked after and is therefore most likely not microchipped. As for Bobby, I'm not sure if he's also male, though I think he is, and if so must have been 'seen to'. So I'm concerned that if he does have a chip in him, his former owner will have to be contacted and told that he's got a new home - and if that's the case I'll tell the vet to explain that I'd dearly love to keep him, with all the costs that it entails. 

As for now, I've made appointments booked at the vet for both Bobby and Sloopy on successive days next week. I'll be glad when it's been done so I can then start weeping about how much it's costing me. But we all know that their friendship is priceless, don't we? (Don't we?........gulp!)  


I'm unable to post up-to-date pics of both my subjects as I can no longer load from my old-fashioned camera to this laptop, as it seems one now needs a smartphone, which I've never owned. However here's two earlier pics of them (Bobby is the mostly black one) from a couple of years ago, any changes due to ageing being minor:-






14 comments:

  1. And they're both such beautiful cats! I've only ever owned one cat and she was one in a million. Major attitude and diva, and never seem to get up on anything in the house except the one sofa and my bed. Yes we do it we can for our little loved ones. And I would never not have a pet not microchipped. God forbid they would ever get out, you may never see them again without that microchip. I remember I had one dog that got out and I about had a heart attack. If not been for that microchip I may never have found her. Good luck at the Vets and keep us posted. Will you have issues getting them into a cat caddy? I know some cat owners with that trips. Just getting the cat in the cat carrier requires a stiff gin and tonic afterwards. I hope you've been well and the weather's been nice and spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really try one's patience, M.M., but it's such a small price to pay for what they give on return by just being around even if, unlike dogs, they never show appreciation unless they want something, usually food or the warmth of a lap or joining you in bed, sometimes under the blanket. But that's exactly what make them so fascinating and irresistible. I wouldn't change them for anything.
      I most certainly shall have issues with putting them in the carrier before getting them to the vet - and back . It's the one part I'm least looking forward to. Not sure about the G & T afterwards as I'm now TTT, but the experiences may well drive me back to the bottle. :-)

      I've been well (for my age) so thanks for asking. Tomorrow I'll probably have the telly on at least in the background while our new king is crowned, alongside Her Majesty, the lovely Queen Camilla (hah!).

      Delete
  2. Such beauties. It's a shame about the expense. It never ends. Cats have had to be chipped here for quite a while. Dudo and Moose came chipped, without “parts,” and with passports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cost is the only 'downer', Mitch, though I also sympathise with how they themselves are going to feel with all the prodding and poking, with probably a lot more. It'll be a relief when it's all over - for me and for them.

      Delete
  3. Bobby looks like my old Tuxedo! beauty.
    And Sloopy's no slouch either!
    We don't HAVE to chip here, and since ours never leave the house, it's doubtful we ever would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby (and Patchie) are both very much house-cats, Bob, rarely being out for more than an hour, more often just for a few minutes. It's Sloopy who's the wanderer, being out every night, usually ALL the night. Maybe it's his still being 'intact' that makes him more adventurous, and that he'll settle down 'afterwards' (poor thing).

      Delete
    2. I think you're right about Sloopy, out tom-catting around!

      Delete
    3. Goodness only knows how many little kitties he's fathered. I've got to think responsibly about it, even if he himself hasn't.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully the cost of the chipping will be mitigated by the relief of knowing they can be found if they ever wander off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's very true. Often the anguish of their disappearance is at least as bad or even worse than knowing what's become of them, painful though that can be.

      Delete
  5. Micro chipping Albert?
    Now that will never happen
    He will fight far too much and far too hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could be as adamantly against it as you, but I couldn't face the consequences of my non-compliance being found out.

      Delete
  6. I think that's the law here too and for sometime. I don't know how many actually do it.
    Our dog has one for which I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from the expense of having it done at all it's the thought of putting the cats through the discomfort - and perhaps pain - of the procedure that's a big deterrent for me. And it's such a long needle that they have to suffer! Still, social duty first!

      Delete