Wednesday 23 February 2022

Copious tears for my now late, dearest little Blackso.

(In writing what follows below I did not wish to claim an exclusivity in depth of sorrow towards a departed, much loved  pet. I'm only too aware that a lot of readers of this blog, very likely the large majority, will have experienced similar feelings perhaps several times in their lives, or even many times. I might, however be unusual in having no one else in the whole world to talk to about it. So please understand if I use this channel to off-load my feelings here. Thanks).

 My little treasure, Blackso (the Second) had been with me for less than three years, arriving on and sleeping on my outside kitchen window- sill, when with the colder weather, he finally accepted my coaxing invitation to come in. He was in a bad way - his spine and rib-cage easily felt under his fur, and with a deep wound on his crown, and he remained so for all his time with me, such that I'd assumed he must have been ill-treated and poorly fed at his former home, and had made his move to run away. But other than his more obvious physical ailments he got to be comfortable here, settling in easily, and eating well and sleeping in a corner by a heater - though drinking loads of water, a sure sign of kidney problems. But he seemed okay so I chanced avoiding the extra expense of taking him to a vet as he wasn't in any obvious pain or discomfort. I'd no idea where he'd come from, nor his age, which could have been anywhere between 10 and 20, and was alert to looking for any notice asking for the whereabouts of a missing all-black cat, notices which one sees all the time here, pasted onto lamp-posts or other street furniture.... but nothing. If he'd wanted to move on I wouldn't have forced him to stay.

I knew the day would come, and it did the day before yesterday, when I caught him pitifully trying to drag his hind legs along the carpet to get to his litter tray. He'd also been coming out with occasional alarming  'yowls' during recent nights as he slept, sometimes under my bed. I made an appointment with my regular vet for early yesterday morning, bracing myself for the likelihood that he was beyond practical help, especially considering his apparent advanced age. Carrying him in the cat-cage the mile or so to the vet was a miserable experience for both of us, me letting him regularly hear my hopefully reassuring voice that I was by his side while he gave little frightened miaows. 

The vet, on taking him out of the container, started on an unexpected note of hope that it may not be the end for him. But then with scan along his back, discovered to my surprise that he'd been microchipped, which I had never suspected for one moment, assuming that if he had been badly treated by his former owner(s) they wuld hardly have bothered to get him microchipped.  For obvious reasons of confidentiality I couldn't be told the owner's identity or where they lived, but the vet had been in contact and a lady was to call round later in the day and I was to leave Blackso there while they'd check him over thoroughly. I was told they'd ring me when there was any news. I returned home with a bit of a spring in my step, having asked the vet to inform the owner that I'd be happy to keep and care for Blackso for the remainder of his days. Of course they didn't call me back. At my wit's end I finally rang the vet at 4 o'clock. The receptionist, with smile in voice, said cheerily "Oh, he's been put to sleep". I was speechless. I spluttered to enquire if the owner had been in and was told that she did indeed come in, had a look at him but didn't want to take him back...........so asked the vet to have him put down. (She was, after all, his 'official' owner, like it or not). I had to finish the call quickly before I started blubbing uncontrollably, just after the receptionist gave me a cheery "Goodbye!". I went into the bedroom where my other three cats were sleeping - yes, I've still got three, and I dare say that many might think that I should be grateful for having them, and I most certainly am not in the least ungrateful. I value each of them as the best friends I've got   But the tears flooded, my wailing waking up all three of them, looking at me curiously, then putting their heads back down and continuing their dreams. But what hurt most - and still hurts deeply - is that I never got to say a proper farewell to my good, affectionate little pal, leaving him to exit this world alone in a strange and frightening environment, as if I'd deserted him -  and my not having expressed my gratitude to him for choosing me to live with and have the privilege of my appreciating and caring for him. But you will live on forever in my heart, my dearest one.



As a p.s., I'll just mention re my eyes and their cataracts, that I go for an assessment in 6 weeks time and which, if favourable, an operation on left eye should take place 2-3 weeks later, with the other eye being done some weeks after that. This all happens 20 miles away. If I preferred to wait for a more local hospital to do it there's a current waiting-list time of two years!

When ths interminable nuisance is all over - this blog has taken me more than two hours to write, such a slow, painful process it is -  and I've got some semblance of 'normal' vision back, be assured I'll return to both blogging more regularly and (most importantly) resume a daily reading of all your own blogs. Any 'hiccups' in my progress will be duly reported on. 



48 comments:

  1. Sorry for you loss. It's so hard to say good-bye, and in this manner... it was a terrible thing to do, as they should have contacted you so you could say good-bye. Poor little thing. We do our best, but there are so many to care for. Thank you for taking this one in. My heart to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, U. I think the vet, on discovering that Blackso actually had a 'true' owner, looked on me as a third, less-interested party, and thus relegated my involvement. Unfair, perhaps, but I can understand it.

      Delete
  2. Im so sorry to read of your loss Raybeard. A shame the owner just came in so nonchalantly after such a long absence and had the cat put to sleep. The vet didn't follow your orders. But at least little Blackso is not in any discomfort and you can be happy in that he had a good home while with you...something he evidently didn't have with his original owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you too, M.M. I've thought of another possibility regarding Blackso's history. He might have been maltreated by a PRIOR owner and then this lady had taken him in as a rescue cat, had him microchipped (which might explain that part of the story) and then he'd run away from his newly unfamiliar surroundings. I'm only guessing of course. Maybe her wish to have him put to sleep was her thinking of what would be the best for him in his multi-complaint condition. I'm only giving her the benefit of the doubt, but it might be plausible. Maybe I'm being too kind, who knows?

      Delete
    2. I agree with you and Bob's comment. You gave me a warm and welcoming home. I hope you and the remaining cats will be a comfort to each other...but as we know, they will never admit to it. LOL!!!!

      XOXO-
      Maddie

      Delete
    3. Yes, cats can be notoriously inscrutable when it comes to guessing their emotions. They keep so much internalised, unlike dogs who can't help but show how they feel. I find both equally attractive. Meanwhile right now it's impossible to read what my remaining three pussies are thinking about their missing companion, so enigmatic are they all.

      Delete
  3. There's a special place in hell for that cat owner who hadn't had their car for THREE years and was so cold at then end.
    Just know that for the three years you had Blackso he was far better off than he'd been before. He was loved and he loved.

    Good to know you're getting your eyes checked. I've missed your posts, both cats and movie reviews and such.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see from my response to the comment just above, Bob, that I'm imagining a scenario where the lady MIGHT have decided she was acting in Blackao's best interest. As long as that's a possibility I can't condemn her outright. But you are right, the solace that I can and must take is that I probably provided the little fella with possibly the best final few years of his life, likely the most comfortable - and it took no effort on my part. I'll try to make do with that.

      As for the eyes and the blogs generally, thanks too for saying that. Their 're[pair' simply cannot come soon enough.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's heartbreaking. It's so hard to lose a pet, and for it to happen like that makes it so much worse. People just don't think, sometimes. I'm really sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for your kind words, Sadie. I'm certain that you've been through the same, and perhaps much wore. But that's life - and death!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for this to have happened to you. The vet and/or owner should have contacted you first. My heart goes out to you. I have just lost two of my chickens to egg laying problems over the last two weeks and I know hard it is whatever sort of pet you have. The vet was so kind and let me have then in my arms while they went to sleep with me talking gently to them. I know how much harder it will have been for you not to be able to this and I think you are being very kind by trying not to think the worse of the owner. I too hope you can get your eyes sorted out soon and will look forward to seeing you back here under happier circumstances. I am glad that you feel you at least have us, your blog friends to talk to. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for these comforting words, Carol. I can understand absolutely your deep sense of loss for the poor chickens, and it's no small thing to be shrugged off lightly.
      I only wish I could have held dear Blackso as he took the final injection, as I was allowed to do with the putting to sleep four years ago of my Noodles. I vividly recall being startled at how quickly his ailing body went cold in my arms, just about immediately with the injection. But with dearest Blackso, his final hours were spent alone in a state of fear, even terror, and that's what hurts the most, and ever will be in my memory of him.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry, Raybeard. This broke my heart, not that the little guy is no longer suffering, but the circumstances of how it happened. Cyber hugs aren't as comforting as the real deal, but I'm sending you some anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you most dearly, D. I'm still getting tearful at the memory of Blackso, seeing the corner where he'd lie silently, either sleeping or looking on watchfully. Even my other three pussies seem more subdued since he left us - or is that my imagination? I'd like to think not.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Ray, I'm so very sorry to hear about your precious friend Blackso. I'm glad that he had your loving care until the very end.
    Perhaps it was best that he was put peacefully to sleep at the vets - because at least you were spared from the agony of being with him when he died. He knew how much you loved him.
    I'm glad that you still have your other feline friends to keep you company.

    Hearing about Blackso really touched my heart, because my beloved sixteen-year-old cat Kitzee died a week ago. She died here at home and I had to dig a grave for her.
    I'm still crying at the loss - I miss her so much.

    I now only have one cat left, seven-year-old Bosco. It is lonely with only the two of us.

    Much like you, I have no one to share my grief with. Writing about it is my only consolation.
    I can fully understand what you're going through. Please take care....and keep us updated on your situation.
    You have many blogger friends who care. Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words move me so much, Jon. I fully feel for the very recent and grievous loss of your irreplaceable Kitzee. Digging the poor girl's grave is unthinkably sad. I'm even now crying for you. I fervently hope that you'll have many contented years ahead with your precious little Bosco.
      I'd forgotten (though I shouldn't have) the extent to which you share my isolated solitude, so it feels a little comforting that we can at least unite in thoughts and emotions. I send you both right now - only positive ones. Keep yourself safe, dear Jon.

      Delete
  8. Oh, my dear Ray, how awful. I'm so sorry to read this. You have my sincere sympathy. Losing a beloved pet is one of the hardest things in life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much thanks, Jennifer. It's good to find so many around who don't belittle the loss of our furry friends, so vulnerable and so utterly dependant on us. It's always a tough experience - and its happening so constantly doesn't make it any easier to bear.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear. I'll kiss Sophie tonight for you. Everyone I know who has had catarac surgery PRAISES its outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, B. I know exactly how much a comfort both Sophie and Shep must bring you - and it's so good to know that you too never take them for granted.

      Yes, I've never heard a single bad word from anyone who's undergone cataract surgery. I'm in need for something positive and it just can't happen too soon.

      Delete
  10. The loss of a dear pet is always difficult and my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so, Walt, knowing that you too have had the equivalent depressing experience several times at least in your life. It never fails to penetrate to the very core of one's being, does it? Very best wishes yo you, your 'other half' and, but of course, to the very dear Tasha AND Bertie.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Ray, I am so, so sorry. I am quite sure that Blackso knew you loved him, and loved him every single day. That is what matters. You have many friends here in blogland that share your grief on so many levels. Take care.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle. Now, two days later, I'm still getting tearful thinking of the way he died, all alone and frightened, when it needn't have been that way. Seeing reminders of him here at home is so very poignant. Even when clearing out the litter tray, seeing his dried-up wee in the corner of the tray was unbearable. However, I know I'll get over it though never forgetting, which I wouldn't want to do anyway.

      Delete
  12. Let me add my voice to the chorus of those offering their sympathy, Ray. I know how much you love your fur family and recognize your grief through your words, a grief I am all too familiar with. I wish I could do more than offer my words of condolences. Please do as others have advised: take comfort that you gave Blackso three years of comfort, a home, warmth, a full belly, plenty to drink, and constant love and affection. Better 3 years of that with you, than any time, longer or otherwise, spent with anyone who would have offered less. I am sorry you were robbed of your chance to say a proper good-bye by the vet (SHAME!), and that the previous owner failed to acknowledge you and thank you for the care you gave him in his final years (SHAME AGAIN!) Love your remaining family as you did Blackso, and you will honor his memory in the greatest way possible.

    Hugs my hurting friend.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My immense gratitude to you for those consoling words, S/b. Of all people, coming from you it makes them especially priceless, my being very conscious that you'll be terribly familiar from your own experiences with the emotions behind my writing.
      I've got to move forward now and resist any thoughts of harping on and on about this episode, even if I'll never forget. But it'll happen again to me, just as it does to everyone else who has pets of whatever description.
      Wishing you AND the adorable little Harvey and little Rita Mae, long, happy future times together (plus, but of course, the unique blessing of Jeffrey too!)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Your comforting hugs received with grateful thanks, AKC.

      Delete
  14. Oh, that's terrible. My deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartful thanks to you, Kirk. Go well now.

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry to hear this news Raybeard. I am sure that Blackso knew that you loved him. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd dearly like to think so Simone, though I fear that he'd more probably feel my betrayal for leaving him to spend his final hours in terror among strangers. But thanks for the thoughts behind your kind message. I'm still trying to come to terms with the wounding event.

      Delete
  16. Raymond
    I apologise I’m late to this post
    My love and support and thoughts are with you deArheart
    You have and are a lovely dad to your cats
    You’ve always done your best

    Take care much love my friend
    John xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't concern yourself with the timing to get here, JayGee. I'm fully aware of the busy life you lead, though even moreso pf the HUNDREDS of followers you have - and you can't reasonably be expected to follow ALL of their lives. No, although I did momentarily notice your absence I wasn't in the least put out and didn't dwell on it - and it's so nice and reassuring that you've got here now.
      I send you my gratitude for the gentle words which clearly come from your heart, especially valuable as we all know that you've undergone several of the same experiences yourself. Thanks ever so much from my heart to yours.

      Delete
  17. There is not loss like that of a pet.
    I remember well when my cats died.
    words are lame and useless to comfort.

    I am glad to see you are surrounded by love here, in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are, as ever, true and reassuring, Dr Spo. Experiences like this, which the vast majority of us go through, rip the very soul out of one - but there's no alternative but to go on and forward.
      Thanks ever so for your kind comment.

      Delete
  18. A sad ending for your friend, but we are glad he got 3 years of love and care from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to think that his few years with me were his happiest, Poppy, though I DO wish they'd come to a more comforting end for him. I'd be over the moon were I to meet up with him again (and my other pet losses) in Heaven. Thanks muchly for dropping by.

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've removed your last two brief comments, JayGee, only because you mentioned your e-mail address which you MAY not want other certain individuals to see. Thanks for your trouble anyway.

      Delete
  21. You crossed my mind today, Raybeard so I thought to drop you a line. How are you doing? I hope you're okay. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay, thanks, G. Sincerely hope you can say the same about yourself - or, better, more than just that. I'm increasingly being stymied by my further deteriorating eyesight which makes following others' blogs near-impossible. I go for pre-surgery assessment week after next and then if that's given green light surgery on one eye some weeks after that, with other eye to follow again some weeks later. So it'll be well into Summer before this is all over and can read comfortably once more, let alone venture out of doors safely. So in the meantime I'm only too aware of my life slipping away past me and I'm powerless to do anything. But thanks ever so much for enquiring, for which I send you returning hugs.XXXX

      Delete
    2. That 'G' in first line should, of course, have been a 'D'. {These flamin' eyes!}

      Delete
  22. Sorry about your dear Blackso. Very sad, indeed. Wishing you great peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of the things one has to accept when one is so animal-fond, U. No matter how many times one experiences such losses it gets no easier to bear. But grateful thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  23. I am so very sorry for your loss! This is truly heartbreaking - poor, lovely Blackso, poor you! You were his guardian angel and you two .. well ..you found each other. I admire you for many things, R, although I' ve never commented. One is taking the legal side of "ownership " into consideration. True, but also very strong of you.
    However, I find the fact, they didn't call you plus the way the receptionist delivered the news absolutely outraging! Stay strong, love Alexa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge thanks to you for such generous sentiments, Alexa. The terrible experience with Blackso's sad and undeserved end is behind me now. Although I'll never forget him, its been taken over by a daily concern for my present four. No, there's nothing 'wrong' with any of them, just that caring for them consumes my everyday life - but which they show no signs of appreciating! But when the time is up for each of them in turn, I accept that it's going to be four similar wrenches.

      Very nice of you to call by. I'm
      extremely touched.

      Delete