Wednesday 10 May 2017

Film: 'Lady Macbeth'.

This sure is turning out to be a bumper year. Only just over one third exhausted and there's already a crowded field vying to make it into my Top 10 of 2017. Here's yet another strong contender.

Based on a novella by Nikolai Leskov, 'Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk', (which you, like me, may recognise as being the title of a Shostakovich opera), this film transfers the action from Russia to the bleak far north of England - and Northumberland was where it was shot. The nod to Shakespeare's character ought not to be taken too far. In both play and this film, the female character (here called Catherine), is a resolutely self-willed woman who connives in, or even executes, at least two murders. Pursuing any further analogy is pointless.

The film opens in the 19th century with Catherine (Florence Pugh - amazing!) getting locked into a loveless, though reasonably affluent, marriage-of-convenience. She soon shows she's made of steel and not to be pushed around, which her husband and his father resent as being unbecoming to a 'lady' in the society of that time. 
When her husband (Paul Hilton) goes away for a while she takes on a menial lover (Cosmo Jarvis), trying to hide the affair from the servants, not entirely successfully.
It's hard to say much more without spoiling it, as there are a number of 'shocks' in the story which caused me to take a deep intake of breath - shocks more in the nature of the unexpected way the story was going rather than the 'jump-in-your-seat' kind (though I really could have done without having to see the shooting of a horse).

Dialogue throughout is spare and effective. There's a slow and deliberate pace to the (90 mins) film which suits the tale.
Also, it must be remarked that there's a refreshing colour-blindness to cast members, unlikely for its time, though it didn't get in the way for me at all

I think director William Oldroyd is to be congratulated on this feature. It has been criticised in some quarters as exhibiting a degree of tastelessness in some areas, but I'd rate the risk-taking as one of its many strong points. And I'm going to look out for the next feature starring the luminous Florence Pugh................8.

12 comments:

  1. I just read a review f this and put it on my list to see. Now I've got another good reason to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once seen it'll linger in your mind, Bob. Strongly recommended - and to prove it I've just upped my rating. 7.5 felt inadequate.

      Delete
    2. I'm really looking forward to it. i think it's coming to an arthouse theater in Columbia next month!

      Delete
    3. Do let me know what you think of it, Bob. I especially value feedback when it comes from someone with similar tastes, as we seem to share.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this sounds interesting and just my cup of tea. I must track it down to see if it's showing anywhere within commuting distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ought to be catchable, Judith. It's playing here not just in art-house cinemas, though I do wonder if the title is off-putting for some who might fear it's too 'Shakespearean' for them. If it's so then they are mistaken. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I must confess that I've never heard of this film, nor have I heard of Florence Pugh. But from what you write, this is a must see. "Entertainment Weekly" informed its readers that the release date in the US will be July 14.

    FYI, "Angels In America" playing in London with Andrew Garfield and the super-cute Russell Tovey, will have a live stream in theaters in July, with several encore presentations thereafter. I know I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not remembered the name of Florence Pugh either, Paul, but I see that she was in the pretty good 'The Falling' of 2014, recall that film, though not her, and am surprised to see that I rated it with a humble '5' while it lingers yet in my mind. However, I've no hesitation in recommending 'Lady M.'

      As you say, 'Angels' is being relayed to cinemas nationwide and internationally on July 20th and 27th, including my closest - and in view of the superlative reviews it's been getting I'm very strongly attempted to go, despite the fact that each part will cost me more than three times an average cinema ticket and I won't be getting home until after 11 p.m., something I only do once in 10 years or more.
      I wasn't aware of the cast other than Garfield and Nathan Lane - not knowing about Russell Tovey, who ought to be more interesting than he was in 'Mindhorn'. But as I say, the wondrous reviews are making it very hard to resist the opportunity. (I never saw it live before but I do have the video with Al Pacino, Emma Thompson et al.)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you remember "The History Boys" with one of the best casts ever. Russell was one of the members of the cast. He is kind of big with the gay community here. I saw Russell on the B'way stage in "A View from the Bridge" - blonde hair and shirtless. Wow! But, unfortunately, I was at the wrong performance and missed the excitement. A theatergoer drove to NYC to see Russell and when Russell removed his shirt the theatergoer fainted and naturally disrupted the show. People thought he had a heart attack. Fortunately he didn't - the guy just "swooned". True story.

      Hope you take advantage of this opportunity and see the show. Some things you just have to do.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't made the 'History Boys' connection with Tovey, Paul, though now I can see that you are right (naturally!). His presence there had been rather eclipsed for me by that of Cooper and Corden, but next time I watch the film I'll take special attention.
      He's pretty big here too, though doing very little for me I've tended to overlook him.

      I've only seen 'View from the Bridge' once, and that in 1987 with Michael Gambon. Clearly Tovey wasn't in that particular cast! I can imagine that nowadays he'd make an interesting added 'feature' to such a production.

      I'm going to have to see 'Angels' I suppose. It could well be the last opportunity I'll have.
      I only stay up beyond 10 p.m. even more seldom than once in a blue moon, and that occasion actually comes around tomorrow, in fact, with the annual Eurovision Song Contest -
      with the U.K.'s most unappealing and drab entry for years, in my opinion, and that really is saying something! So if I'm making the effort for that it would be outrageous not to put in at least the same effort for such an experience as 'Angels' (though the cost of it is still daunting). But, as you say, sometimes you've just got to do certain things.

      Delete
  4. This one sounds like it would be worth watching.
    The opera by S is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard the opera, Dr Spo, though I'd dearly like to. I was only familiar with its eye-catching title and I'd also erroneously assumed that it had had some relation with the Shak. play. Now I know better.

      Delete