Wednesday 19 November 2014

Film: 'The Imitation Game'

Fine dramatic production of the Alan Turing story, creator of, perhaps, the first 'computer' - a prototype 'Enigma' machine constructed in the early 1940s, specifically to decipher intercepted Nazi war messages from their HQ to fighting units and between the units themselves. The key to the code being used was changed by the enemy every successive midnight, theoretically leaving the allies with over 150,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible solutions, these being different every day.

The story is told in flashback, with Benedict Cumberbatch as Turing, complete with facial tics and stutters. (Oscar possibility? A nomination would be well deserved, at least). He's telling his story in 1951 to a semi-sympathetic senior police detective (Rory Kinnear) in an interview room after being arraigned for 'gross indecency' in a casual encounter with another man. (At that time, all physical touches between men, however slight, automatically carried the tag of being 'grossly indecent').

There are additional more distant flashbacks to Turing's schooldays where he is already being victimised by other boys for the 'offence' of being 'different' (more withdrawn and socially inept), as well as being cleverer than they are. He makes a close (non-physical) bonding with another extra-intelligent classmate.

The main thread of the story deals with Turing's dogged determination to succeed in building the Enigma apparatus while he battles against authorities (including a coldly efficient and sceptical Charles Dance, answerable directly to Winston Churchill) and Matthew Strong (particularly good), Turing's immediate superior. Turing also has arguments and fights with the other members of his small team. Only he himself has absolute faith in achieving his object.
Also on his team is Keira Knightly, the only female member, who is selected by solving a problem quicker than any of the other entirely-male candidates. She sticks by him throughout. I know that the story is based on fact but her character struck me as almost too good to be true.
In her very first scene someone makes a remark to her which drew a loud gasp of disbelief from the audience, something I'd imagine will happen in just about all cinemas - or at least I'd like to think so. But those of my generation will know that what's said to her reflected a fairly widespread attitude to women in those thankfully far-off days.

From what I'd heard about the film I was expecting that the issue of Turing's sexuality would be hovering uneasily in the background without being expressly referred to unless it was impossible to avoid it. But, although there are no sex scenes at all (thank heavens!), the topic does come up quite frequently and explicitly, and always handled tastefully - though I thought that there would be more out-and-out hostility from those 'in the know' and the police, which was certainly a characteristic of attitudes I remember from the 1950s.

The film holds interest from first to last even though, I'd guess, that a significant proportion of the audience knows how it develops, all the way to its tragic and appalling conclusion.

One of my complaints, a frequent one for me, is the too-pervasive mood music on the soundtrack. Others will be less bothered by it than I was.

This film is a fine tribute to the man, overlooked, ignored and cold-shouldered disgracefully because of his sexuality for so many decades. It was only last year that he was granted a posthumous Royal Pardon for his 'crime', over 60 years after his death - something which the film states categorically as suicide, though a bit of a question mark has been put over that scenario in recent years, suggesting that it just might have been a tragic accident arising from Turing's habitual carelessness and untidiness. No matter - at least as far as his place in history is concerned. Even if it was an accident it in no way diminishes his monumental achievement for which we all should acknowledge a profound indebtedness to him.

Norwegian director Morten Tyldum (he of the excellent 'Headhunters' of 2011) does a very good job here. No complaints at all. He keeps the story buzzing along without longueurs (so no watch-checking), which is some achievement for a film of an hour and three quarters.

I was fortunate enough to see Derek Jacobi in the Hugh Whitemore play 'Breaking the Code' in the late 1980s, which he reprised in a BBC TV version of 1996. I think that 'The Imitation Game', with more emphasis on illustrating the genius of the man rather than on his personal life, which is also extensively captured here, is a much more rounded portrait. In truth, it ought to do his memory proud.....................................7.5.

13 comments:

  1. This summer I saw an amazing actor, Mark H. Dold portray Alan Turing. Could any other actor top his performance? Maybe hot actor Cumberbatch can. From your review, it looks as if he is close. A nyway, I'll soon know when this anticipated movie opens here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Mark Dold, Paul, but now I've googled him so am a bit wiser. His portrayal of Turing doesn't (yet) appear on his credits so maybe an update is due.

      I have never seen Ben Cummerbund(!) as good as he is in this and it's one reason why I'm feeling slightly guilty that my rating isn't raised to an '8' - but, ultimately, I'm leaving it where it is because on a personal level, being now so familiar with the story, it didn't quite grip me as fast as if I'd been ignorant. That's not a fault of the film, I know, but a reflection of my own reaction.

      I see that the film opens in the USA at the end of next week. But I seem to recall that it's already had its North American premiere on Broadway. A few days ago some of our papers talked about Cummerbund attending it, I'm sure - with his newly-found wife-to-be, I believe. (That should scotch any rumours!)

      I'm pretty sure you won't dislike this film. It's yet another candidate for my 2014 Top 10 - but I wish I could squeeze about 20 films into that small space as it's been an exceptional year for rich pickings.

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised that you never heard of Mark Dold. This past summer you and I had a discussion of the actor and the play. Apparently, you had looked him up then. FYI, a brief scene is on Youtube.

      You provided me with a little giggle this morning with your calling the actor Cummerbund instead of Cumberbatch.

      Delete
    3. I remember talking with you about 'Breaking', Paul, but not about this actor. Actually a fleeting thought did cross my mind that I'd looked someone up on google about this before, but as what I read this morning didn't ring any bells I dismissed it as being the same one. (I'll follow up your YouTube suggestion). I'll put it down as yet more evidence of approaching senility - but I think I've said that before too!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen a film on Turing's life. I may make this the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one to start with, FB. In fact I doubt if it's going to be topped in a hurry.
      Such was the effectiveness of the concealment of his key part in history (and all because of just one of his features, then considered an unmentionable liability) that I have to admit that I'd never heard of him until Hugh Whitemore's 'Breaking the Code' came out, by which time I was in my 40s. At long last some amendments have been made, but far too long overdue.

      Delete
  3. I am hoping to see this and mockingjay1 in the next couple of weeks when the Mr is free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be seeing Mockingjay on Mon, Sol, but I'm not looking forward to it. I believe that it leaves things up in the air so you have to see the next one, which I suppose I will. But I'm not as keen on the film series as you are, though unlike you I'm not familiar with the books. However, I see it as a case of taking a deep breath, holding your nose and diving in!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the double posting. My computer is giving me a lot of problems this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. Doesn't help you but you can now see that I've tidied it up a bit at this end.

      Delete
  6. Ray,
    A movie about a code breaker sounds boring but you have made it sound interesting.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. It absolutely is interesting, Ron. I'll be surprised if there isn't a lot more talk about this film as the awards season approaches. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete