Sunday 12 May 2024

Eurovision last night - results and my verdict

 

Switzerland won. I've no complaints. This weird body-balancing act would have been my third choice. Good to have a third-time winner (last time 1988) from a non-obvious country without political issues muddying the waters. 

Singer 'Nemo' is, it's said, the first 'non-binary' winner to take the title. (I had to look up that term for its meaning. I just can't keep up with the lingo!) 


Second came my own vote, Croatia, an act and song as daft as any, but I liked it on first hearing.........


In third place, a song (part-ballad, half rap) which didn't appeal to me at all, Ukraine, two females of, well, disparate size, shall we say......



At number 4 came France with one of two solo male 'power' ballads' with no frills, no backing distractions - just the song simply and here powerfully delivered, and which I thought passable (just) - though with the singer in a perplexing semi-diaphanous outfit, and wearing underneath it what seemed to be just a nappy/diaper........

and


And in 5th place, the contentious Israeli entry (but of course!). We were told there was some boos from the 70,000 audience but I didn't hear any. I thought the song indifferent. Incidentally, it seems that the British public voted to give its maximum points for this entry. Why? Out of 'sympathy' for having to face demonstrations?........



Poorish showing (yet again!) for the U.K., coming 18th out of 25, which is actually much better than most of our recent entries........



I still think our act, visually, was the best out of the lot, though the song itself was no great shakes. In the final viewers' vote (now taken from the more than 100 countries globally who take the transmission live!) we were the only participant to receive zero points from the public, our final not-last placing being due entirely to the individual participating countries' appointed juries, which have equal weight with the public vote. (Work that one out!) 


And then there was Spain, with its gloriously outrageous act, which ended up, most sadly of all, in 22nd place. Oh well. C'est la vie!.........

............and, btw, you can't see it here, but those boots the guys are wearing are high-heel stilettos. How they managed to stay upright with all their twisting, writhing and stuff beats me! 


The presenters, Petra Mede (Swede) and Malin Akerma (Swedish-American) did an efficient job. There was, this time, just one occurrence of the dreaded yell of "Are you READY?????"......



Just one further maddening thought on the voting. Like last year, just as the presenters were saying to us that we could vote as many times as we wanted (which I assume meant voting for as many countries, other than one's own), commentator Graham Naughton chimes in on the voting procedure saying that we couldn't vote for the U.K. but must vote for the countrY (resolutely in the singular!) we wanted to win. No mention of voting more than once! This is exactly what had happened a year ago. Why can't they sort the darned thing out, for heaven's sake? And to further cloud the voting issue, after casting my vote, about 15 mins later I wondered what would happen if I tried to vote for Croatia again - so I did, and the same recording of Norton's voice comes on "Thank you. You have voted for Croatia". So was my vote for the same country counted twice? - or is there some mechanism for filtering out multi-votes for the same country? And if I'd tried to vote for our own U.K., would that have gone through? What a shambles! Get it sorted, people!!!!

Oh, yes - and Austria's Conchita Wurst turned up in the interval to briefly join as part of a trio to sing 'Waterloo', a 50th anniversary tribute to, of course, ABBA who won in Brighton (just 12 miles from me sitting here) in 1974........


So, another year gone. All in all, despite the protests against the Netanyahu government as well as the elimination of the Dutch act - of which we still don't know the details - it was a pretty good contest this year, and I'm reasonably satisfied with the result, which itself is a rare thing.

So next year where? Zurich? But somewhere fresh and Alpine for sure in any case. See ya there! 




18 comments:

  1. I didn't think there were any really stand out songs this year. I am happy with Switzerland winning though as I quite like that one. I didn't like Ukraine or France at all. I quite liked our song but as you say it was middling but finished better than we often do in recent years. Over all I enjoyed most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never found this year 'boring' as such, even if some of the songs might have qualified under that description. It may not linger in the memory for long (mine is already fading) but in toto, like you, I feel more than a little contented.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I’ll start looking for clips now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's certainly stand-out moments here and there, Mitch. If you can find them I think they'll have been the effort - after all the whole shebang is just for F-U-N and a lot of it is precisely that.

      Delete
  3. I should really try and see this, but like I said yesterday it gets very little press here until it's almost over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the contest gets more political (sadly, alas!) it makes its way up our news schedules. Yesterday (and this morning) it was headline news on all our news channels. I should have thought that this factor alone would, regrettably, get it mentioned on American stations, but it seems not. It's getting to look like they're avoiding talking about it on purpose.

      Delete
  4. By the looks of the picture your featured, I surmise I would have really enjoyed Spains act. Glad you were for the most part satisfied with the results. I've seen no mention of the closing on our airwaves here.

    It's another gloomy day here for mothering day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely would have been captivated by Spain's entry, M.M. and you would have been among millions more. The audience there loved it madly, and it remains a mystery when, with a pretty good song too, it finished up near LAST! So much for world audiences - No taste! ;-)

      Was Sunday really Mothering Sunday? I always remembered it when I had my mum, but she left us in 2005 (aged 89).

      Delete
  5. I just watched a whole series of videos. Please shoot me now and put me out of my misery. HOWEVER, I truly enjoyed Croatia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I read you right, Mitch, my suggestion to you (apart from Croatia's entry) resulted in a total waste of part of your life - and if that is so I can only humbly apologise for my earnest attempt to spread some light-hearted pleasure. I'll need to be careful with my future assumptions. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, no. I’m really glad I watched them despite my snark.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I was hoping that was really the case. Mitch, hence the 'winkie' at the end of my comment. I'm happy that you actually did get some fun out of it. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Drat! Missed it again! Someday I want to see this spectacle. I appreciate your review so I know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I myself remember, when the date of the 2025 contest becomes known (which shouldn't be long now) I'll let you know so you can put it in your diary.

      Delete
  7. I miss it all , working every weekend , and I’m sad about it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I do regret (enormously) your not being able to see it, JayGee, with your busy and important schedule such fripperies as this must have low priority. Let's hope you'll manage it in some future years.

      Delete
  8. Hope all is well, Ray, with you and your gang. I miss seeing your posts. (Although quiet lives, I've found for myself, are often the best.) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good, thanks, Elle. As also are my surviving dynamic duo, Bobby and Sloopy, though I do wish they'd stop being so wary and sometimes openly hostile to each other - but I suppose that sometimes (not always) comes with feline territory.
      I do regularly think of posting more blogs but, frankly, can find little positive to blog about - other than, for example, my fascination (and current horror) of what is happening in American politics, which I spend a large part of my time following, even if it's all somewhat depressing. In addition, writing any of my own blogs at all does now quite exhaust me. However, we'll see what we can do.
      I hope that you and yours are in good health - maybe even 'flourishing'? - or is that too ,much to hope for?
      Wishing you all the best, as ever. Thanks for your enquiry. XXXX.

      Delete