Sunday 10 March 2024

The Bible as one's favourite book? Are you serious?

 

Last year I completed my 10th cover-to-cover reading of the Bible, most of them having been in the King James' version. I must have been in my late teens, and still devoutly religious (R.C.) on my first attempt at climbing this 'Everest', reading the then sole Papally-approved version, the Douay-Rheims (the scope of 'approved' has since been widened). At that time for me the task was completely for religious reasons.

So now, some six decades later, when I still read a passage of the 'Holy Book' on nearly every morning (at least 95% of days- as also the Koran, by the way and the Bhagavad-Gita - but all that will have to wait for a future blog post) what are my feelings about this collection of writings comprising what we know as 'The Bible', most of which (nearly all!) by a hodge-podge of writers unknown - even if a name has been attributed it doesn't mean that those are the actual names of the authors. (The four 'official' gospels have assumed named originators even though little or nothing at all is known about them). 
There is no generally accepted selection of 'authentically' Biblical books, no 'standard' of those meriting inclusion in the canon, but what today most mean are the 37 parts of the Old Testament and 27 of the New. This is not the place to go into the history of who and why certain books were chosen while others, of which there were dozens of contenders, were disregarded. Loads of info can, of course, be researched through Google which will likely leave one bewildered with the vast array of 'evidences' (much of which being disputed) plus opinions based to a large extent on pre-conceived notions of what the writer wants to believe. 

But to get to the nitty-gritty - what do I think of the Bible as a 'read'? Well, quite frankly I find by far the largest part of it heavy, stodgy, ponderous, mostly boring, rarely 'inspirational' and only extremely intermittingly even interesting. Those relatively few (considering its vast volume) interesting episodes in both books are so sparingly written, with so few adjectives or adverbs to bring it to life, that they read as dullish reports of events, some highly improbable, rather than involved witness accounts, which they hardly ever were, being written years, decades, even centuries after the purported events. Moses, the assumed author of the first five books of the Old Testament (the 'Pentateuch') takes on the heaviest of all mantles in describing the Creation of the Universe itself, some 13.8 billion years before he was born - or, if one thinks that this 'God' would never allow His human instrument to make any mistake, some 6,000 years ago. So how did Moses know? Well, Divine inspiration, of course - or in other words, God told him! So despite all present scientific evidence in Astronomy, Physics, Geology, Archaeology, Biology......everything! this 'God' must have created all this evidence just in order to fool us into believing it whereas in 'fact' it's a fairy-tale because only the words that s/he dictated to Moses is the incontrovertible account of what happened. It only begs the question - Now why would s/he do that? What would have been the point? Of course we all know the catch-all response in 'defence' is......."God works in mysterious ways". S/he sure does!

But to say that the Bible is one's favourite book above all others? Just what other books have these people read? Have they read any others at all?

However, it's perfectly natural to wonder why on earth I myself keep reading it. I ask myself that very question. The best I can offer is that it's become a habit and still holds a fascination as to why such a collection of largely dull nonsense has become undoubtedly the most influential piece of 'literature', certainly in 'Western' culture, of all time - and I'm still searching for why that is so - though I'm sure that the answer lies in human psychology, the very natural need to find an answer to the most basic questions of existence - wherefrom are we and why? - and it's ever so 'handy' and, moreover, lazy to follow others who claim that they, above everyone else, and despite vast evidence to the contrary, possess the unchallengeable TRUTH

As to it being one of my own 'favourite' books, in that sense I have no doubt it wouldn't even feature in my top 1,000 - or deserve inclusion in such a list at all! My ultimate accolade for the Bible remains a resounding "Bah, humbug!" - though only (overwhelmingly) mostly. 😀


20 comments:

  1. I'll give you props for actually having read it, and more than once!
    More people who quote the Bible haven't ever picked the book up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think too that anyone who quotes the Bible can't have read it entire, or even just most of it - even, yes, just one single complete chapter from it. And we ALL know (but some daren't say it), that those who claim it to be their favourite of ALL books only do it in the expectation that they'll be admired, and wondered at. Such an easy thing to do with false earnestness, yet millions of the gullible fall for it , welcoming the distraction from their own hopeless ignorance.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bob Raybeard. I remember reading parts in Sunday School and it bored me to tears....and I just plain couldn't take the proper language. Never picked it up again. And of all people i got left my father's family bible....i featured it in a blog post. The book is huge in size and weight...in a leather thick bind. Beautiful illustrations. Im sure it must be worth some money. It looks like it deserves to be on a pedestal on a pulpit in a huge cathedral. It sits on a dresser in the guest bedroom.

    Hope your good and the kitties. I'm looking forward to spring...finally i hope. We had tons of rain yesterday and now heavy gales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my own mum died 20 years ago I longed to take over her Bible which, like the one you described, was a heavy tome with many full-page reproductions of classic masterpieces from truly great artists of the past. But not only that, the text was supplemented by many footnote explanations and elucidations of the countless problematic words and passages, all from an R.C. perspective. It would have been invaluable as a supplement to my own readings. Unfortunately, one of my nephews got in first, saying to me quite forcibly that he needed to have that very object as a momento-keepsake for my mum. He didn't know I was a constant reader of that volume and I never had the courage to tell him. I still miss not having it.

      I'm doing well, thanks, M.M., as are the pussies, though the eldest of them (turned 19 in Jan) is very frail, thin and slow now, having me very concerned. Sad to see him like he is now.

      We've just experienced our wettest Jan & Feb since records began, though I dare say they would hardly compare to what you must have gone through.

      I hope you are going well yourself, in good health, and with a bit of cash to spare - or even more.

      Delete
    2. Yep...your family Bible sounds much the same as what we have with the footnote explanations and elucidations of the countless problematic words and passages as you say. Hell, if it wasn't a fortunate in weight, I'd send you mine!!! I know you'd appreciate it.

      Delete
    3. I most certainly would appreciate that , Bible of yours, M.M., though I still haven't given up hope that my sister (now 87!), the mum of my Bible-taking nephew, will convince him to give it over where it will be keenly USED rather than, as I suspect, just lying there gathering dust. But there can't be much time left now considering her own age.

      Delete
    4. OH MY GOD! I was in the basement have a clear out...and would you believe I found another huge, weighty Bible!! Again, big, weight, ornate and stunning Illustrations. My mother thinks it was her brother's family Bible and given to her when he passed in 2000. So now we have two of them!! I need to do another post on these. I also found some other kind of book that was my fathers. A smaller, wood bound Bible, The Red Letter New Testament. The inside page says "Translated out of the Greek; and with the former Translations diligently Compared and Revised by His Majesty's Special Command.

      Print in Great Britian. Collins Clear Type Press. Glasglow, Sydney and Auckland.

      It appears to have been given to my father with an inscription- 2/19/1942
      Karl- His life be offered to save my daughters. Rachal Litz

      The whole book is made of a wood book bind and covers. The back burnt stamped in says Jerusalem.

      Delete
    5. Oh, I'm green with envy, M.M. Only wish I lived nearer to you. Maybe it will spur you on to reading ALL of it? No, I thought not. Take it from me, I would NOT recommend it. Plenty more pleasant and useful things to do! :-)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to that future blog post. It would be nice to get a comparison between the three religious books, and how they rank among your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's likely to be a long time before I blog on other 'Holy' Scriptures I read daily, O.L. I had a first effort and tackling the above on the Bible sitting in my draft file for weeks. I could have gone on to write an entire book there was so much yet to say. So I had to cut it short and, with a bit of trimming and alteration just pressed the 'publish' button!
      However, I will tell you this. I read the Koran successively in 5 different translations, and I've yet to sense any semblance of the 'beauty' which is often claimed for it. I find it repetitive, very 'legalistic' (much moreso than the Old and New Testaments), intolerably judgmental - particularly to non-believers in Islam - and over-replete with warnings of what will happen to you in the 'next world' if one doesn't follow that text to the letter and to the 'nth' degree. Inspirational I find it NOT!

      Delete
  4. I’m in awe. I have never even attempted to read the bible. I figure smoke would immediately pour out of my ears before the top of my head popped off. I would love to be knowledgeable enough to argue with all the bible thumpers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're already likely to be MORE knowledgeable on the Bible than many of those who claim to revere it, Mitch. Just to give a single illustration of an inconsistency which you can quote back at them out of the thousands of examples - how many of the four gospel writers mention the birth of Jesus? Just two! And do they both talk of his being born in a stable with heavenly angels singing on high to greet this awesome, unique and most exceptional event. No, that's only in Luke's account - written decades later. Matthew refers to the birth having taken place in a 'house', yet the Xmas story as told exclusively by Luke is the one that is celebrated the world over. Would have been nice to have had just one other corroboration.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I like this bit of info. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. There's lots - LOTS more - like it, Mitch. Luke had the best Nativity 'story' so that is what all the Christian leaders thought it best to run with, whereas two of the other three evangelists must have thought that the circumstances around Jesus' birth was so unexceptional as not to be worth even mentioning.

      Delete
  5. I nearly didn't comment because I am not in any way religious and wouldn't want to cause offence. However reading other comments I decided to chime in. I only remember the bits forced on us in R.E. at school and found it very boring and the language very old fashioned and long winded. I love reading but cannot image attempting to read the bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit that I liked R.E. lessons at school, probably because I always for some reason came top or near-top of the class in that subject. Maybe the rest of the class found it as boring as you did, Carol.
      Yes, deciding to have a go at reading the whole Bible is a daunting prospect for anyone and I can quite see how it can be seen as a spectacular time-waster if one doesn't have a motive. If I'd never first attempted it as a teenager I could never imagine that as an adult I'd want to put myself through it. But now I know what's ahead of me so if I get round to my 11th time it doesn't seem such a challenge.

      Delete
  6. I prefer to read comic books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll probably get just as much 'truth' out of them, S/b.

      Delete
  7. I thought I wrote a comment already it was about having never read the book cover to cover but think to someday do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did comment earlier, this time it didn't register as 'spam' which for some reason your previous comments have done. However, thanks for coming back.

      If you really do intend to climb this Everest you'd better not leave it too long. My previous successful assaults have taken, on average, 6 years a time, doubtlessly due to it being so damned BORING! Ploughing through hundreds and hundreds of chapters to find even one worthwhile passage - or just one interesting sentence - is like searching for a puddle in a desert.

      Delete