Thursday 19 July 2018

Film:'The Bookshop'

In view of the preponderance of  unfavourable opinions of this film I had given up on thoughts of bothering to see it. Then today, with the final screening in this area, I spontaneously thought "Well, why the hell not?" I'm pleased I went as for me it wasn't anything near as unlikeable as others have found it. 

Based on the novel by Penelope Fitzgerald, who co-wrote the screenplay with the film's Spanish director, Isabel Coixet, it's set in 1959 in the fictitious, attractive, small English coastal town of Hardborough (exteriors actually filmed in Northern Ireland) where middle-aged widow (Emily Mortimer) wishes to open a bookshop using the premises of an old house which has a well-regarded and established history in the town. There's strong opposition to her plan, particularly from a wealthy, ageing, married lady (Patricia Clarkson) who fears the opening up of such a business will harm the character of the locality, and even when the shop opens to some success she'll not shrink from using her influence to have it closed down.
Meanwhile, a book-loving, single recluse (Bill Nighy) starts a correspondence with the shop owner, requesting particular books while she sends him works which she feels he may like or wants his opinion on them, which he's contented to do for her. Although their relationship doesn't go as far as a romantic one (they only meet a couple of times) it does skate on thin ice as regards sentiment, though remaining on the (for me) acceptably non-indulgent side - just.  

In the opening scenes I was thinking that the film was curiously static. Then, because of what I'd heard, I had to pull myself up as I realised I'd unconsciously been looking for 'faults' as if to confirm that it really was a 'poor' film. The penny dropped and I started looking on it as a gentle, unassuming film, and from that p.o.v. it worked much better.

Unfavourable comparisons have been made with 'Chocolat' and there are certainly a number of plot similarities. I couldn't claim that 'Bookshop' is superior or even the earlier film's equal but I do think it stands up well on its own. I'm happy to have made the effort.............6.5

(IMDb.................6.5 / Rotten Tomatoes.............4.9)

14 comments:

  1. That's why I rarely read reviews before I go to a film! I had forgotten all about this one. I am glad you enjoyed it. I can barely remember anything about it now which probably speaks volumes for what I thought of it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading reviews before seeing something (which I habitually do) and, even worse, letting them influence ones decision whether or not to see, is a hazard in this field, Rachel. I don't know if this one will drop out of my retentive memory as quickly as it has yours, but now on the morning after, I still feel a warm, comforting glow about it - which is maybe an unfortunate choice of words considering the film's ending.
      I didn't say anything above about the acting. I thought the two women I mention were both superb, though Bill Nighy's was a bit mannered and not wholly convincing. Not enough to make me reconsider my overall judegment, though.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the acting was superb but do you remember me mentioning that dreadful child? You don't mention her so perhaps she didn't bother you?

      Delete
    3. I do remember that little girl but, quite honestly, I've seen far, far worse - so her not being as irritating as I find some kids was a bit of a relief/
      As for the ending, I was just waiting for the significance of that paraffin heater to come out - and come out it did. When the girl was told that she must be VERY careful with it it rather gave the game away so I wasn't all that surprised at what happened.

      Delete
    4. Yes, me too waited for the paraffin heater. It was a very pointed remark and sums up the film for me, not good. I am surprised the girl didn't irritate you. She was totally out of balance with the poor background she was supposed to come from and that of her mother, and unconvincing. She was made out to be a country urchin in description but no country urchin was she. Couldn't the casting director have found someone better for the part? I am sure he could. So many things spoiled that film for me. I am still amazed that you gave it a 6.5.

      Delete
    5. You're making me look back at that girl who so annoyed you, Rachel, and that's no bad thing. Now you come to mention it, the incongruities with her lowly life which she displayed shouldn't have washed over me so easily, but I really didn't stop to think or observe the clash.
      I still have a warm-ish memory of the film - and, so far at ;east, don't regret the rating I gave it. Perhaps if I watched it again my favourable view may have cooled off - rather in the manner a forgotten saucepan of soup left on a turned-off stove. ;-)

      Delete
  2. If I can I will see this this weekend....saw IN THE FADE tonight....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in the mood to being receptive to consolations, JayGee, I think this ought to supply it - though the ending is not as upbeat as one might wish.
      For some reason which I just cannot fathom, 'In the Fade' has not come to this area (yet?) which is simply astonishing considering the reviews it has received. I just cannae understand it!

      Delete
  3. I, too, am happy you went to see this. Just seeing the name "Patricia Clarkson" will get me into the theater. I am so enjoying seeing her in "Sharp Objects" and am glad that there is another one of her performances I can look forward to. Hoping this arrives at one of our cinemas soon. If not, well there is the DVD to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so often wrong in my predictions, Paul, but I would have classed this film as being one with somewhat insular appeal, not having much likelihood of success in cinemas outside of the U.K. But what do I know? Nonetheless, if it doesn't come near you it wouldn't lose to much by being seen on the small screen. Pat Clarkson's role as an icily creepy spoilsport - she would rather turn the house into an 'Arts Centre' than the bookshop which it becomes (so it's not outrageously 'bad') - is a performance to savour.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I remember reading this book as a "TGR" (thumping good read) recommendation from the late "A Common Reader" catalog. Did they keep in the ghost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall any allusion to a ghost, Dr Spo, even though the premises were old and rickety and would be the kind of place such an entity might inhabit.

      Delete
  5. Ray,
    I tend to like small, unassuming films like this. I'm not into the high velocity car movies or enhanced video games like Keaneu Reeves has been appearing in lately.
    Thanks for this review.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This should suit you down to the ground, Ron. Maybe not for the 'Pats' of this world ;-) though maybe I do him an injustice.

      Delete