Tuesday 6 March 2018

Film: 'Lady Bird'

During the first half hour I'd been thinking "Wow, this is so good!" An hour later the initial shimmer had dimmed to a degree, my attention had begun to wander, and it was on the verge of getting to be heavy-going. Quite a contrast to yesterday's film which held me throughout despite that one being some 26 mins longer. True, this doesn't have anything like the heightened drama of 'I, Tonya' but that shouldn't have held it back. The script is sharp enough - very sparky in places - and much has been made of Greta Gerwig's Oscar-nominated direction, as well as her being the film's writer, but it did just fail to sustain any involved interest up to its close for this viewer.

Saoirse Ronan plays a 17-year old senior student at a Catholic school (though she's actually nearly 24) in Sacramento who is bored with California and her school and aspires to move by herself to the east coast, without the approval of her practical, down-to-earth and argumentative mother (Laurie Metcalf, who is terrific here) and gentler, more understanding, big bear of a father (Tracy Letts) - so this is the second film in two days where there's a fraught mother-daughter relationship at its centre, though in this one there's only a bit of measured hysteria and no violence at all. 
As well as the focus on the girl with her family members there's her rebellious attitude in school - towards teachers and fellow pupils - as well as her friendship with boys, first with Lucas Hedges, and then, and more importantly, with this season's flavour, Timothee Chalamet.
The film finishes with her facing new challenges. 

If I hadn't seen 'I, Tonya' so recently I might have enjoyed this more. It was good, but ultimately didn't quite cut the mustard for me. As things stand I'd rather watch that former film again than this one. Nevertheless, I accord 'Lady Bird' a much more-than-respectable.........6.5.

14 comments:

  1. I have just written about this film which I also saw today. I agree much with you. It wasn't my sort of film and I was bored. I will leave you to read my review rather than repeat what I said here. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acknowledged on your own blog, Rachel. Ta.

      Delete
  2. This film was coming to my area next week, it had such great reviews. Both you and Rachel did not like this film so I am seriously reconsidering going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please do go. It's not right to say that I "did not like this film" - on the contrary, I DID. It's just that it came second in comparison with the one I saw yesterday, which I rated as exceptionally good. So I repeat - please don't change your mind about seeing it.

      Delete
    2. Alright, sorry I misunderstood your post, I value your opinion.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sooo. I think its better to give it the chance it needs - after all, there's been a lot of fuss about it.

      Delete
  3. I want to see both this and I, Tonya, but I guess I should see Lady Bird first to enjoy them both more (since this one pales in comparison).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the preferable order to see them in, Mark. Maybe there were subtleties in 'Lady Bird' that missed me, drowned out by Tonya's in-yer-face din.

      Delete
  4. This was not one of my favorites of the year. I too found my wondering what I'd be doing later in the week, or trying to come up with finishing details for a project, instead of being entertained by a film. It was just a big snooze as the Oscars for me. I swear, with the Ocsars being the crème of the crop of movie awards, you'd think they'd make it more entertaining. I'd sooner watch paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of further putting off any more who'd been thinking of seeing this and are now not so sure, it was curious that for a shortish film of a mere 94 mins it yet managed to seem too long. I think that after an hour there was little new or interesting left to say and it began to outstay its welcome. I also wonder if it had had a director other than Greta Gerwig, a male one, it would have attracted as much attention.

      Delete
  5. Raymondo, just saw I TONYA , loved it. Your review was much better than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd find it as you did, JayGee. I'm pleased you went and had some enjoyment time.
      Now I'm off to read your own review.

      Delete
  6. For me it was one of those films that didn't "seem" to say much, but really spoke volumes. i rather enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most would agree with you, Bob, and I'm pleased you got so much more out of it than some of us.

      Delete