Wednesday 16 August 2017

Film: 'A Ghost Story'

If you prefer films which finish with a sort of explanation, even if inadequate, as to what you've just watched, you may as well give up on this one. It'll leave you baffled beyond measure. Open questions are left to dangle tantalisingly in the wind, strands which I suspect (hottie) writer and director David Lowery himself didn't know how to tie up, even if he'd wanted to, which I very much doubt.  And yet - I liked it!

Lowery reunites the main actors of his equally likable 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints?' of 2013, Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara.
It's a slow-burn film with long silences amid sparse dialogue, Affleck and Mara being a couple living contentedly in a rural bungalow (filmed in Texas, but it could be located anywhere) when mysterious things begin to happen - and then an earth-shattering event for at least one of them, or probably both. Hard to give away much more without compromising the main 'surprise' taking place just a few minutes into the film. 
Most will know from previews, reviews and trailers that Affleck spends most of the film walking around entirely draped in a white sheet with two peep-holes to see through - though as we don't ever see his eyes or hear him speak, one has to wonder whether it really is him under there? - or is it a stand-in so that an expensive-to-hire star doesn't have to spend so much time on the film-set being unrecognisable, when it could have been someone who'd be far cheaper to employ. Be that as it may, it's supposed to be Affleck's character. 

I was prepared to jump in my seat at certain points when, following a long silence, I thought we'd be startled by a fortissimo 'thud' on the soundtrack, though I don't think there were any such moments. And visually there were few, if any, such 'shock' equivalents.  It wasn't exactly a 'scary' film as such, anyway.

Although its title claims it as a 'ghost' story, it's not really that spooky, and I don't think it was meant to be. It's more, well, odd! 
One of the film's most attractive features was that it was impossible to out-guess which direction it was going to take next, implausibility being as rife as unexpectedness, never with any attempt to rationalise what the hell was going on! I liked this daring, which some may rather describe as 'cheekiness'. Others may argue that the film takes the audience as just a gullible bunch of suckers, too ready to lap up anything at all which is served to them under the heading of 'art'. That may be so, but if that's the case I applaud it's chutzpah, and I readily buy into it. 

Good, reasonably solid, if puzzling, entertainment.............7

10 comments:

  1. Im looking forward to this on R aymon D o

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you approach it with an open mind, and don't ask yourself too many questions, J.G., I think you'll like it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,
    My favorite ghost movie will always be "The Haunting on Hill Street" by Shirley Jackson Lots of thuds.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall you mentioning it before, Ron, some years back - but I've still not seen it. Must try to find it.

      Delete
  4. I would have liked to have seen this but I think I might find it spooky. I am looking forward to moving and being able to visit the cinema more regularly and with girly friends for some chick flicks!

    Hope you are well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not 'spooky' at all in the conventional sense of ghost stories/films, Sol. In fact, on the whole, it's rather gentle. I dobt if there'd be anything in it to frighten you unduly - and I would go out of my way to recommend it.

      I'm well, thanks - with things happening so fast (not always in the best way) that my sleep has gone all haywire. But there IS a little more hope coming over the horizon, so not quite despairing yet!
      Still hoping to get down to and to finish 'Tess' before you do your blog post on it. Might be a little late in getting there but I'll try.

      I do hope in return that you too are bearing up to life, and keeping in health. The latter trumps everything else, of course.

      Delete
    2. I will wait on the Tess review for a week or 2. let you catch your breath! Hang in there.

      Delete
    3. You're too good to me, Sol. Because you're making the gesture I'll do my best to finish the reading in the time you say - and let you know when I'm coming to the end. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I like a good ghost story. However I get rather picky about them. I proper ghost story should give you the creeps. Paradoxically when the ghost is obvious or direct this is 'horror' not 'ghost'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite its title this film is not anything like a 'conventional' such story - but that doesn't mean it's not worth seeing 'cos it is.

      Delete