Thursday 23 February 2017

Film: 'Moonlight'

Once a year, or more rarely, comes a film which just blows me away - and this is one of them.
Being nominated for a mere four BAFTAs was measly recognition enough, but to come away from those awards completely empty-handed was little short of grotesque. I have to hold onto faith that this weekend's Oscars will be more forthcoming in recognising what an exceptional work this is.

A film in three sections, all set in Miami (from where director and screenplay writer Barry Jenkins himself hails), it chronicles the life in three stages of first, a schoolboy (then called 'Little'), then as a late-teenager (named 'Chiron') and finally as thirty-something 'Black'. 
Initially struggling against the verbal abuse of schoolkids because he's somehow 'different', his hiding from their taunts results in his being befriended by a drug-dealer with a heart of gold, or at least partly gold, (Maharshala Ali) who takes pity for the boy's isolation and loneliness, but whose presence is resented by the boy's drug-dependent, increasingly neglectful mother (Naomie Harris - in all three sections).
Then the story moves forward to the boy as a young man and his friendship with school-colleague Kevin (Jharrel Jerome), and his emotional self-realisation - with a particularly upsetting episode where Chiron is picked out to be a victim of assault.
Finally, the action moves ahead by some twenty years with 'Black' now looking in every way the part of a toughie drug-gang member, complete with gold teeth, pumped-up body and gun - and re-discovering former close friend Kevin (now played by Andre Holland).

If the first two parts contain the most physical 'action' it's the final section which has the dramatic and emotional weight. 
The acting of all the three players of the central character (successively Alex R. Hibbert, Ashton Sanders and Trevant Rhodes) is uniformly remarkable. Despite the character's foibles I was drawn into deep sympathy for him at all the stages - quite heartbreakingly, in fact.
Naomie Harris, as the mother who puts who her own wants ahead of her maternal duties, is no less brilliant.

I found the film well-nigh flawless. Perhaps the music choices were not quite of the best? Others might disagree. Anyway, none of them is over-long. Also, I wasn't quite sure if it was the cinema's own projection problem, but there were one or two moments when the visual focus seemed to be fuzzy. I'll give the film the benefit of the doubt and assume it was the cinema's own equipment. 
My only slightly nagging fear that the film's interest in the central character might have been flagging just a very little came in the final section, but if it did it was more than redeemed by the very brief concluding scene.

In summation, I thought this an extraordinary film. If I see a finer one in 2017 it will have been a truly exceptional year................8.5.



10 comments:

  1. I loved it.
    Mahershala Ali was beyond brilliant in an otherwise brilliant film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deep, intelligent film, Bob, which doesn't treats its audience as simpletons. Let's hope that on Sunday evening it gets the deserved recognition that has so far eluded it.

      Delete
    2. If it gets overlooked (which I don't think will happen) there's got to be something mighty odd going on.

      Delete
  2. Watched it last night on VOD after seeing it last month in the theater. Still had the same effect on me, maybe even more. This is movie making as it should be. The film is exquisite.

    I too. was disappointed at BAFTA and will probably be disappointed at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a bit more confidence that it'll be recognised for its quality at the Oscars, Paul, though anything could happen. Of course, the likelihood is that it'll be sidelined by 'La La' but I don't think it will go entirely unrewarded this time. In any other year without such a strong competing contender it would have cleaned up at the awards - or ought to have.
      Whatever it wins, or doesn't, you and I are among the many who'd hand it the 'Best Picture' award.

      Delete
  3. Ray,
    I've ordered this film from my Netflix account. It should be here tomorrow. I've heard nothing but good about this film. You review has further affirmed my choice. Thanks!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In years to come it should be regarded as much a 'classic' as 'Brokeback' is/was, Ron (though even now some are reluctant to give the latter that accolade). I long to see 'Moonlight' again - if only I could see it again the cinema screen! I'll be dismayed if you don't like it.

      Delete
  4. Ray,
    Just saw "Moonlight" last night. I LOVED IT! I especially liked the different camera angles and the direction and the cinematography and everything. If I had any complaint it was probably about some of the musical selections that seemed to interrupt but that was no big deal. A very, very enjoyable film with fine acting all around. I especially liked that there was no overt sexual scenes or violence. The movie concentrated on the story and the human drama that is life that we all experience. One thing I especially identified with was when Chiron finally had enough of being being bullied and how he took care of it. Reminded me of what I did when I was bullied during Army basic training by one individual. I finally took matters in my own hands and ended it. I fully expected to be put in the stockade for my actions and dishonorably discharged but I wasn't. The captain of the company took care of the bully and told me to go about my business after the "incident." He never bothered me again. I could just as easily ended up in big trouble. I was lucky.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reaction to the film pleases me no end, Ron. I'd have serious doubts if anyone could maintain that it isn't a very good film, though I've heard of a few, just a very few, who do say just that. More fool them!
      Our BBC's foremost radio critic shares our opinion, saying that it's sure to be his 'Film of the Year'. However, he does cite its choices and its use of music as worthy of particular admiration. There he parts company with you and me. But otherwise he's on our side.

      Your army experience is very moving to read. It must have worried you sick at the time, but thank God that you weren't cowed into submission. The incident must have played a major part on shaping the rest of your life. For that reason you'll have had that extra reason to have been impressed with 'Moonlight'.

      Really pleased you took the trouble to see it, Ron - and I'm pretty chuffed that I might have played a modest part in directing you towards doing it.

      Delete