Tuesday 24 January 2017

Film: 'Manchester by the Sea'

Although I think that this is indeed a fine film, I can't quite go along with all the 'oohs' and aahs' that have been conferred on it. For one thing, at two-and-a-quarter hours long, I feel that it is too long for its subject matter - though, having laid that claim down, I can say that I was never bored by it - only a trifle exhausted.

Casey Affleck is an itinerant plumber with a personality like a coiled spring, ready to go off at little, even imagined, provocation. (He's not alone in this respect!) His work entails doing thankless tasks for sometimes thankless clients. Close to his brother's young son (Ben O'Brien) with whom he goes on fishing trips, a few years later, his brother dies and Affleck finds to his surprise, and not without some irritation, that he's been nominated by his brother to be the guardian of the now 16-year old boy (Lucas Hughes). Their relationship has become spikey with both of them holding a simmering resentment of the situation - not helped at all by the boy having two girlfriends which he juggles simultaneously, each not being aware of the other, to Affleck's evident disapproval.
In a disappointingly (to me) rather meagre role is Michelle Williams as the Affleck character's former wife, who opens out her heart to him late in the film. There's a past between them which lurks over their continued regard for each other.  

The film is serious throughout, though I've seen at least one review which describes the awkwardness between Affleck and his nephew as 'funny'! If so, I missed that aspect.
If it's a violent film, very little physical violence is actually seen - rather more like an undertow of potential emotional violence which may or may not erupt into the physical.
The photography of the small town Manchester, particularly in the deeply snowbound season, is impressive.
On the soundtrack there are one or two pieces I could have done without - including two long excerpts from Handel's 'Messiah' - as well as the over-used Albinoni/Giazotto 'Adagio for organ and strings'.

Director Kenneth Lonergan really is given his head in this film and he takes it to the utmost. Although Affleck is remarkable in the main role, I did now and again feel that the director was breathing down the necks of his cast. I think it might have been improved if he'd stood back a little more.

I don't doubt that it's an interesting film, perhaps on the severe side, but not one that will appear on my list as a 'must-see again' (unlike 'La La' which I'm ready to see once more at anytime). After maybe ten years, if I last that long, I might feel differently about 'Manchester'. As at now I rate it with a still considerable..............7.5.


10 comments:

  1. Hummmm i think this one will be a netflix job ...
    Just seen " lion" .....hummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a film to be seen if you're looking for a mood-lifting experience, J.G., even though it IS good.
      'Lion' I will be seeing in a week or two. I'm a bit worried that it might be a bit more upsetting than I care to go through. However, when duty calls what can one do?

      Delete
  2. This was one of my favorite movies of the year. The acting was superb. A little disappointed that it didn't earn a higher rating - but 7.5 is still impressive.

    With the Academy Awards and BAFTA coming up soon, would love to have you jump in and give us your predictions: Who should win and who will win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your high opinion of 'Manchester' is shared by quite a significant proportion, Paul. I think that what held me back from rating it even higher than I did was an all-pervading, slight discomfort at the intensity of the film's story. I suppose a lot depends on the mood one is in at the time of viewing. Maybe I was spoiled by 'La La' and was wanting more of something light and fluffy, though I knew in advance that this film would not provide it. Whereas I'll be staggered if 'La La' doesn't make it into my Top 10 of the year, yet with 11 months to go, I can't say the same about 'Manchester'. It may or it may not.

      I've never been one to attempt to forecast awards or just to say who ought to have won, though I do tend not to hold back once they've been announced, with cries of approbation or grunts of disapproval. Another thing is that by the time the Oscar awards are made I've often not seen a good number the films because of worldwide staggered release dates - in fact even with the British BAFTAs I'm also sometimes in the dark as they are judged solely by their London releases and we in the provinces have to wait to see them. So right now I have very few meaningful opinions as to who ought to win, though my reviews should, I hope, make clear when a film or any of ts constituent parts deserves to be in the running.

      Delete
  3. 'Manchester' is a well made movie, but as a friend said, "I saw it and now I don't have to see it again". It's not a repeater, but very well done.

    I think you'll like aspects of "Lion" especially after the fact. You might even wait a day or three to write the review. The parts you fear will be 'upsetting' might end up being the better parts of the movie......just in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes< i think that 'Manchester' is one of those 'see it and get it out of the way, films. I can't imagine my wanting to see it again until I forget what it was all about and why was there so much fuss about it. Only then I might.

      I'm feeling much the same way about 'Lion', which is only just opening here. The potentially upsetting scenes should be outweighed by those featuring Ms Kidman, for whom I've always had a soft spot. Anyway, I've seen far too many REALLY upsetting films (much more than this one, I bet) to make me avoid it.

      Delete
  4. I gave this a 7/10. The acting was superb, but I just felt it wasn't 'quite there' for me.

    Although chatting to a lady in the toilets afterwards was funny. She thought the Manchester of the title was Manchester, England. She was from Burnley in Greater Manchester I thought it amusing that she had never noticed there was NO sea near Manchester (I'm from there too).

    I loved Lion, as did my husband, we both gave it a 9/10, and last nights viewing of T2 Trainspotting was a 10/10 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also failed to entirely 'connect' with 'Manchester', Sue. I thought it was down to solely my own lack of empathy but I find that there are quite a few people who feel the same way.

      The first time I heard the film's title without knowing the content I thought it was a fun-title of a British production. I'd never heard of 'M-by-Sea', but it is a small place.

      Very much looking forward to 'T2', much more than I am for 'Lion' Could be going on Tues - and in view of your rating I don't want to wait any more than I have to.

      Delete
  5. I did not like this tedious waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to have split viewers between admirers and detractors, F.B., with self leaning towards the former though without any great relish. Like you, I shan't be 'wasting' any time in seeing it again as there are more important things in life to be getting on with.

      Delete