Monday 9 July 2018

Film: 'Leave No Trace'

Highly pleasing, gentle, heart-touching film - and with, most gratefully, no hysteria! (Though the story might have invited it!)

Ben Foster is an unemployed army veteran (as we learn later) living in the wild with his 13-year old daughter (Thomasin McKenzie) in an Oregon state park, in effect a forest, where they both live contentedly. (The reason they choose to live like this is not explained. We have to join the dots ourselves). They are discovered by rangers and taken off to the local authorities where they receive sympathetic treatment and are offered a small isolated shack where they can live together. But they both get restless and sneak away to return to the forest where, as a result of an accident affecting the father's leg they are taken in by a kindly, oldish lady who offers them accommodation in the forest while a former army medic acquaintance of hers takes care for treatment of the injured leg, agreeing not to notify the authorities. (This is the America I want to see depicted - where people have a heart of gold and are not always out to get something for themselves. So different from the ugly, predatory side we've been seeing so much of in the last two years! ) Once more, when the father has sufficiently mended, they leave without notice to return to the home environment they are used to.

Director is Debra Granik (also co-screenplay writer) does wonders in bringing Peter Rock's original novel to the screen. She also directed 'Winter's Bone' (2010) which many are suggesting was even better than this. I disagree, rating this new film as far superior. (I rated the earlier film with a '6').

I must admit I was apprehensive throughout this film that something might happen to shock me unpleasantly, but no such thing occurs. There might be some criticism that this is too much of a 'one-note' film with only the slightest shifts of mood. If it's true then I found that aspect a refreshing one.

'Leave No Trace' wears its heart on its sleeve with full justification. Deeply affecting, sensitive and most satisfying...............7.5.

(IMDb............7.6 / Rotten Tomatoes...........8.5)


8 comments:

  1. As I said Ray, nothing to worry about, no horrible things happening. Oh ye of little faith. It is a great film and I agree with your review. The lovely people you describe still live but it is just not fashionable to talk about them in certain circles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was entirely your reassurance that nothing horrible happened (to animals, specifically) that clinched my seeing this, Rachel, otherwise I wouldn't have gone, so I'm grateful for that.
      I can well see why those kind-hearted folks are personae-non-grata in the current political climate, which tells us all we need to know about the shameful times we are living in.

      Btw: I've added a couple of sentences to my penultimate para above - an afterthought which I think needs to be said.

      Delete
    2. I have read your additional sentences. The very simplicity and straightforwardness of the story is pulled off perfectly without being slushy or sentimental. It is hard to describe but it is a straightforward story and it is hugely successfully pulled off by the Debra Granik to be gripping. There is no need to spoil it with any frills and she didn't. I think this is what you were getting at.

      Delete
    3. That's exactly it. After the initial question of "Why are they living like this at all?" it's a straight line story with no complications. A true tonic - something which I don't expect to be saying after the film I've just booked for this afternoon - at least if the reviews are anything to go by, though that is always chancey anyway, so who knows?

      Delete
  2. I've read good things about this Raymondo ...not showing here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance, please go, JayGee. I can say with confidence that you won't regret it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one over here, but i'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the 'must-see' category, Bob. I hope it's recognised in the awards season, particularly for the director and for Ben Foster (as the father).

      Delete