Monday 23 July 2018

Film: 'First Reformed'

I can see why some might take against this film as being ponderous, over-solemn and with perhaps some gaps in the narrative. Comparisons have been made with Bergman and I think that's fair. I have to say that I was impressed while readily accepting that perhaps it caters for a niche taste, though there has been a welcome wide approval for it.

Ethan Hawke is a minister in an historic, smallish church of First Reformed (Calvinist) denomination somewhere in New York state, He has a sparse congregation of worshippers while his church is supervised by the nearby, much larger. well-attended church run by 'Abundant Life' organisation whose minister (Cedric Antonio Kyles) has concerns about the Hawke character's welfare, both mental and physical, mightily aggravated when he discovers that the latter has potentially serious body health issues.

But before all this is revealed Hawke has had a request from one of his small congregation (Amanda Seyfried - whom I'll be seeing shortly in 'Mamma Mia 2') to have a word with her husband who is unhappy about her pregnancy. When he does, the husband (Philip Ettinger) opens up about his environmentalist activism, having moved from Canada where he served time in prison for his campaigning. All this comes on top of Hawke's own buried uncertainties regarding his own internal struggles, and out of interest he makes a deeper investigation into the environment aspect himself, it eventually becoming almost obsessive, especially when he discovers that the boss of one of the area's leading industrial polluters is also a major donor towards 'Abundant Life' and through it, a supporter of his own church.

Much of the film deals with 'below-the-surface' emotions. Hawke has not only concerns about his own health but has surviving guilt about the failure of his marriage which had collapsed some time before.   

There is quite a lot of tension throughout the film (and my God, it really does take two or three extremely bleak turns) which includes a couple of brief but graphically violent scenes. In fact the suspense keeps on building until the final quarter hour or so when the tautness reaches well-near snapping point. Just before this happens there's a rather bizarre sequence, almost hallucinatory, which some may consider out of character with the rest of the film. If people can't make head nor tail of that short section they are yet more likely to feel unsatisfied with the manner of the film's actual ending, of which I'll say no more! 

It's a totally different kind of role for Ethan Hawke, here playing a man with internal struggles on several levels, a part in which I think he manages to convince. Amanda Seyfried was, in my opinion, exceptional in her smaller yet quite substantial role.

Although I knew the name of director Paul Shrader I was most surprised to find that I've seen none of his films since 'The Company of Strangers' of 1990. Before that he made 'American Gigolo' and 'Cat People'.

It's a film rather out of the ordinary - intriguing (though not without one or two exasperations) - one to linger in the memory more than most films, and definitely well executed overall.................7.

(IMDb................7.7 / Rotten Tomatoes............8.4)

  

9 comments:

  1. You seemed to find it how I did. I am glad you enjoyed it. I read your review through and it brought it all back to me. The suspense and the depth of the hidden emotions. It is a good film. When seeing Mamma Mia today I wondered why I recognised Amanda Seyfried! You have now answered that puzzle for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda S. is getting to be quite a versatile actress, Rachel, and already acquiring a formidable C.V. She's one to watch.
      'First Reformed' is a film that burrows its way into ones mind by stealth. It's one I'd like to see again as I think there are further depths to it which weren't immediately obvious and which I'll appreciate.

      Delete
  2. I just added something to my Bookshop comment Raymondo that I would like you to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting movie Ray. I'll have to reread your review. High ratings from Rotten Tomatoes though. I generally like these types of cerebral movies. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an unusual one, Ron, and I think it's worth the time of any discerning viewer.

      I'm not sure if the Rotten Tomatoes average rating can be relied on. It strikes me as one that might have been spiked though, unlike IMDb who give a breakdown of how many voted with such and such a rating, it's impossible to tell. But it makes one take notice!

      Delete
  4. When I saw the title, I assumed that this would be one of those faith-based films. Happy to see that it is not. The story alone makes me want to see it, but the fact that Ethan Hawke stars in it makes it a must see. Ethan just gets better and better with age. I have a feeling that this is another film that will get lost here in the States, along with "The Bookshop" and "In The Fade" which I was so impressed with. Never made the theater, but is streaming on Amazon. Would have missed it if it had not been mentioned in your Comment section

    You have given me two films in a row to look forward to. Kind of looks like the third will be "Mamma Mia 2" which I definitely will skip. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just got back from 'Mamma Mia 2'. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised that you're not going to see it. (Not an ABBA-phile then? I have always been one, with NO apologies for being so! Out and proud!) However, must confess to being a bit saddened that you won't be sharing in the happy exhilaration so many of us feel. But the decision can only be yours.

      I'd never taken much notice of Ethan Hawke before. He's always been around somewhere, though bit a bit of a non-entity. However I agree with those who state that in this film he gives of his very best in a tricky role that depends on credibility, and he pulls it off well. It also has an entirely non-derivative story as a further 'plus' and, yes, there's no proselytising on faith matters, something I can't abide either. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't get shown in at least some American and Canadian 'art-house' cinemas. It fully deserves it.

      Unaccountably, 'In the Fade' never made it to this art-conscious region at all, yet did go to some others. Curious and maddening.

      Delete