Monday 19 March 2018

Film: 'The Square'

Bizarre, highly unsettling, Swedish film (mostly in that language, with a few scenes in English) - pushing it a bit at two-and-a-half hours, though worth it if you can endure that length.

Director/writer Ruben Ostlund's previous film was 'Force Majeure' (2014) towards which I was lukewarm at the time, though whenever it's mentioned (still quite regularly) it seems to be referred to in awe as a near-masterpiece. I'd like to give it a second shot to assuage my feelings of guilt at having been so half-hearted. 

That earlier film was disturbing enough - and with a single coherent storyline. This one is more viscerally unsettling though without a similar clear narrative. At times it seems to be a series of episodes strung together, all involving a renowned Stockholm modern art museum curator (Claes Bang) in a series of conflict/confrontational situations with various staff of his and with members of the public. 
There is also the presence of Dominic West (playing American) in just a couple of scenes, but both are unforgettable - the above still-shot being what develops into possibly the most horribly out-of-control moment in the entire film. Elisabeth Moss likewise appears in two extended scenes impinging on the main character's private life.  

It's hard to say much more about the story, such as it is, because incidents, when they happen, are so strange (I was occasionally reminded of Fellini, though without his softer edge). A crucial key word in the film is the cry of 'Help!' which recurs frequently- and a key object is the mobile phone, one in particular as well as generally - including their ringtones.

My main criticism is the film's length. I think a snappier film at little more than half this one's length might have had more impact, memorable as this one yet is. And there were just too many plays on the soundtrack of the Bach-Gounod 'Ave Maria' (in instrumental arrangement) which was becoming irritatingly distracting.

On the whole, however, it was a rewarding experience. One to ponder over at leisure (it has an insistent quality) though it might have been even better still...........6.5.

10 comments:

  1. I just got back from seeing this Ray and was thinking about what to write about it. It was a bit of a curates egg. It didn't quite make it sometimes but mostly it did. It could probably have done with a little bit more time on the editors bench to cut it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW I liked the musical instrumental interruption bits that I think you refer to, although I admit I didn't know what it was called, because it was always a cue for something to happen/scene change!

      Delete
    2. Where are you Ray? Are you ok?

      Delete
    3. I'm here and okay, Rachel - well, up to point. I've been suffering under some kind of a bug with all the usual feelings of flu though without a cold or cough. This dire condition came over me quite rapidly yesterday morning. Still feeling weak and spending a lot of time sleeping it off in bed with Patchie as company. Don't know what it is. Very strange. But at least I'm not feeling quite as dreadful as I did yesterday. Thanks for your concern.
      I'll get back to your views on 'The Square' when I'm back in the mood - meantime further cinema visits are suspended.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for replying Ray. I was getting worried. You posted about the Square, and so did I at the same time, and then you just disappeared! Get well soon.

      Delete
    5. Still on the slow mend, Rachel - but I've now read your blog review of this film. I think that with time my feelings will converge more with yours, liking it more than I did at the time but without going overboard about it. Different it certainly was, and I shouldn't be surprised if it continues to haunt the memory for quite a while yet.
      Yours is a more insightful review than mine was and gives me a different slant from the one I took away.
      The art scene as relating to galleries/ museums is not one I know a lot of as, for as long as I can recall, I've always shied away from them because I find such visits the most exhausting thing I can imagine - I mean physically, on the legs, rather than intellectually. My loss, I know, but there it is.
      And btw: I'm also one, like you, who is never troubled by subtitles, though it's a great shame that there are so many who are. They can be distracting though when it's a language one is familiar with, and you just know that the translation is a poor one or, even worse, has nothing to do with what was said. (And sometimes the English spellings or punctuations are so absurd too). But a language such as Swedish was safe enough ground for it not to have been a distraction.
      Right, must pop off now - to resume my place on the cinema-going carousel.

      Delete
  2. Ray, This is not like you and I am growing concerned. I am hoping that all is well and you are just having the usual computer problems. Please post soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Paul. See my reply to Rachel, above. Very touched by your concern. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. It's a new day today and I hope your showing great improvement. Glad that Patchie is sharing your bed. Isn't it a comfort when they are at your side? Keep us informed and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there, Paul, though quite a little way yet to go. Patchie has been a jewel. Thanks for your thoughts again. Must go now - to the cinema!

      Delete