Monday 21 August 2017

Film: 'Tommy's Honour'

There haven't been that many golfing films that I could name, so a further one hardly gluts the market.

This is the story of one Tom Morrison (the estimable Peter Cullan) and his son, Tommy (Jack Lowden), in 1860s-70s Scotland, who instigated the rules for modern-day golf, the father also designing golf courses in that country, an aspect which hardly gets a look-in during this rather stretched film which concentrates rather on the son's playing (and championship winning) whilst engaged in and marrying a slightly older young woman (Ophelia Lovibond). It transpires that she has a detail about her past which brings about the censure of his mother in particular, as well as that of the Church. Also in the cast is the familiar face of Sam Neill.

I hadn't heard of either man before, unsurprisingly. Not that I find watching golf boring. I'd rather watch it on TV than many, many other sports I could mention.

Director of this film is Jason Connery (yes, the son of - ). now 54, this being his fifth full-length feature as director.

Incidentally, the Scottish accents of some of the minor characters was so pronounced that for at least one scene I could have done with subtitles!

I found the actual golfing scenes the most watchable parts of this film - though they were nearly all at the closing stages of particular games. The Scottish scenery for these episodes was as impressive as one would like. 
I felt the romance of the younger man bordered on the tedious, and even though based on fact and intensely tragic in parts, it was with few, if any, totally unexpected events. That side seemed to get in the way of the more enjoyable golfing scenes.

It's an 'okay' film, though not exceptional enough to qualify as an outright recommendation..................5.5.









2 comments:

  1. Ray, I might not be on the book tomorrow. I will do the review for Friday if that is ok.

    ReplyDelete