Monday 5 December 2016

Film: 'Sully'

Film based around the January 2009 incident of plane making emergency landing on River Hudson, New York, with all 155 on board surviving - the achievement gaining the title 'Miracle on the Hudson' - which most of us ought to recall from news bulletins at the time. We all know the outcome from the word 'go'.

Tom Hanks plays chief pilot Chesley Sullenberger in this Clint Eastwood directed film, with Aaron Eckhart as his co-pilot. Laura Linney is underused as Mrs Sullenberger (though it is based on fact) on the other side of the country when it happened, has a few shorts scenes communicating with husband by telephone.
From very near the start of the film we see 'Sully' commencing his being interrogated by the investigation committee, which almost immediately takes on an accusatory tone - why did he risk the lives of his passengers by attempting such a dangerous landing (following his plane being disabled by colliding with a flock of birds), when he could have made any of at least three alternative far safer landings, chief one being returning to La Guardia airport from whence it had taken off just a few minutes previously?

The actual incident only covers a couple of minutes so it might have been tempting for Eastwood to have built up to the crucial time with an excessive preamble. Happily, that doesn't happen. There are a few flashbacks to the critical moments, but not as many as I'd feared. 
Likewise, we see a few passengers before they actually board for what was going to be a routine flight. Once again, these are kept to a minimum, with no attempt to sentimentalise. So, Eastwood's restraint is to be commended.
With Sully's reputation on the line, and with the media starting to suggest that his decision and subsequent action, far from being brave, he'd actually been reckless, the film successfully explains how he was, in fact, deservedly accorded being dubbed 'hero'.

It's a good film, always interesting. However, as we know how it ends, it can hardly be wildly exciting, gripping though the depiction of the actual landing on water and the rescue are.  
Competent-double plus........................6.5.


16 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to this one raymondo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say this score was about right.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a better-than-average film, CCC, but lacking the extra dimension to make it a VERY good one - and a lot of that is because it's a story we're already familiar with.

      Delete
  3. Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood always produce competent films as does Ron Howard. However, knowing the ending I'll pass on this film. Thank you for your always "competent" review (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a 'given' that everyone knows how this ends, Ron, so Eastwood had quite a task to make it interesting - and, to be fair, he does manage exactly that with some panache.
      Well worth seeing if you're not looking for surprises.

      Delete
    2. Ron is right....there are elements in SULLY that reminded me of a Howard movie,.....
      Eastwood does suck some of the drama out of the passengers stories but I forgive him

      Delete
    3. Re similarity to Ron Howard films, I suppose so, J.G., though I was more than happy with Eastwood's superficial treatment of the passengers. Upping the sentimentality in a personal tale would have made it near unbearable for me.

      Delete
  4. I've been absent for many a moon. I so need to spend more time here. Anywhoo...I'm not here to apologize but to wish you a beautiful holiday. May love, peace, joy, laughter and light be yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, F.B. - and I wish you and yours every bit of the same.
      Due to seasonal illness haven't been on blogs a lot recently but I do try to keep up with your blogs - and now that the little unpleasantness seems to be over I hope to see more of you there again.
      Happy Xmas on this very day!

      Delete
  5. Ray, Twenty days have passed since your last review and it is worrisome. I hope that you are not having any physical problems and that all is well with you and your pussies.

    Please put our minds at ease and let us know how things are going.

    A Joyous and Peaceful Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your concern, Paul. I've been quite badly 'under the weather' for two weeks with the heaviest bout of flu I've experienced since Xmas 1999, but that now seems to be in the past. I've taken away the bucket from the bedside now. (Here's hoping there won't be a relapse.) Unfortunately my condition put me out of commission for all this time, meaning that I've missed seeing three or four films I did so want to see to round off the year, which have gone now. But hoping I'll squeeze in a couple more this coming week.
      Otherwise, all is okay here, as is also with my pussycats, though they're all getting so old now. Blackso must now be 18 - in human year equivalents that's probably older than me myself! - though apart from being very shaky on his legs he seems to be fine.

      I wish all the very best to you and those close to you. I do appreciate your thoughts very much indeed, and on this Xmas morn (5.30 a.m.) I hope you enjoy the rest of the hols and have a marvellous 2017.
      'See' you later on the blogs.

      Delete
  6. We are planning on seeing Lion over the holiday and wanted to hear your input...Wishing you and your kits a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle. I had to look up 'Lion' as I'd not heard of it. I see it doesn't open here until 20th Jan, so looks like you'll have to wait a bit for my verdict. But I almost certainly will be seeing it.

      Thanks for your Xmas wishes, which I heartily reciprocate - and I can promise yo that it is echoed by the three little 'uns.
      Have a joyous New Year. a 2017 which must surely only be better than the one disappearing - with a "Good riddance!" from me.
      Do enjoy the rest of the hols, together with all those around you.

      Delete
  7. Hey Ray, Wishing you and the kitties a lovely Christmas day! Stay warm and out of this bloomin wind!

    Love Sol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sol - and more of the same to you and yours. 5.45 a.m. Xmas morn right now - and it's a perfect time to wish you a most happy day. Mild weather here is a boon. If t keeps like or near this for the rest of the Winter we'll all be very happy.
      'Speak' to you later.

      Delete