Monday 30 May 2011

American (and Canadian) regional accents

This subject has got me gripped. Thanks to 'Anne Marie of Philly' for provoking it by mentioning accents after my comment on Cubby's posting of his 'Rings around Uranus' on his PatentlyQueer blog - and Cubby's own further information about distinct regional American variations.
It's a subject that is just never discussed in the U.K. because to us Brits, with very few exceptions (I mentioned the deep south, as well as there being the clear Texan accent), most Americans all seem to talk the same way. (Do I hear the sound of collective jaws dropping?). Offhand I still couldn't point to the difference between the Pacific and Atlantic coasts, though I bet someone's going to tell me that not only are there crucial ones but there are also discernible variations in how far north or south on that particular coast one goes. Are there, for instance, distinctive Florida or Washington State accents?
More than once, on my holidays in Europe, having met a guy whom I assumed to be an American, have I been gently corrected by being told that I was speaking to a Canadian. Although I was embarrassed I bet most Brits would have made the assumption that I did. I wonder if the accents of people from, say, Vancouver and Newfoundland are as far apart as their geographical locations are?
I once met an absolutely stunningly beautiful bearded leather guy in a hotel in Cologne (before I moved to that city myself) who could speak only French. My not unreasonable assumption on commencing a somewhat limping conversation with him was that he'd just hopped on a train in his home country, probably from Paris, and arrived for a weekend of fun - as I had. It turned out that he was actually from Montreal - which thereby gave me a chance to practice my tongue on him; but that's another story. However, I dare say that any Frenchman would have known within a second or two that he wasn't a native of France.

I see that there are audio illustrations on the Internet of the various regional American accents, which I am now going to explore and, hopefully, make me much more knowledgeable on this subject.
Oooooh, this is so exciting!!!

10 comments:

  1. Good stuff Ray. I hope you write more posts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will, Cubby, I will. Anything which reduces my ignorance of the world is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an English learner, British accents sound funnier and lazier than American. (No offence!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some British accents do sound lazy to some of us too, Tai - Liverpool (as the Beatles spoke) but even moreso, the English Midlands accent - especially from around Birmingham. But not all of them are lazy, at least to me - Scottish, Welsh, North-East (like my own) or 'standard' BBC pronunciation. As for being "Funny"? I know that sometimes Americans are amused by the way we speak but I never knew it went beyond the U.S.A. So now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray, for such a large place the differences in spoken language in the US is pretty non-distinct when compared to the rest of the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That explains quite a lot, Kyle. I think one can say that differences in American accents within the U.S.A. are more 'nuanced' rather than being distinct as relating to a particular region, than one might expect for such a huge area. There are of course only a tiny handful of nations with greater than or of comparable size to the States - though with the most efficient communications systems in the world I suppose that there is a greater tendency to level accents out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for commenting so late on this! I live in Canada within 60 km of the US border. When we cross over, we can pick out the Americans instantly with their mid-Western accent... plus the fact they are invariably dressed in camouflage clothing.

    In Canada, there are vast differences between the Newfoundland accent and the accents found in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. The accents in the rest of English-speaking Canada are fairly homogeneous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for visiting, BB. Always an honour to known that you've been reading my words - on your own blog as a comment, and even moreso, here.
    I had to laugh at your first para above (the end of it, of course.)
    What you say about Canadian accents is really MOST interesting. I would never have thought it, considering the relative proximity of those locations, at least in Canadian terms. I must now expand the terms of my 'research' to include your 'Goliath' of a country. Thanks, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post. I grew up in New York City (Long Island and Brooklyn). Went to school in Western New York State. And have lived and visited most of the country. When I moved at the age of 11 from Long Island to Brooklyn (less than an hour away) the kids in Brooklyn were fascinated by the way I pronounced things. The dialectical variations (and word usages) within very short distances here are amazing and can cause major confusion. Wish you could hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm learning, Mitch. It's a really fascinating subject and I had no idea there were so many variations within such a small area of your vast country, let alone inter-state or inter-regional variations. I wonder if there are Americans who are able to pinpoint where ANY particular speaker is from, even those with obscure accents. I suppose there must be - rather in the manner of Professor Higgins.
    Also, I suppose, as in the U.K., there are those accents which are generally liked and those which are unloved. For example, here, most people (including me) like the Scottish accent most of all - and our Midlands accent the least. Yes, a very interesting subject which goes on for ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete